Re: [netmod] New revision of draft-wu-opsawg-service-model-explained

"Scharf, Michael (Nokia - DE)" <michael.scharf@nokia.com> Thu, 08 September 2016 12:18 UTC

From: "Scharf, Michael (Nokia - DE)" <michael.scharf@nokia.com>
To: "adrian@olddog.co.uk" <adrian@olddog.co.uk>, "opsawg@ietf.org" <opsawg@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2016 12:02:56 +0000
x-originating-ip: [135.239.27.41]
Cc: "draft-wu-opsawg-service-model-explained@ietf.org" <draft-wu-opsawg-service-model-explained@ietf.org>, "netmod@ietf.org" <netmod@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [netmod] New revision of draft-wu-opsawg-service-model-explained

Hi all,

In general, I believe that distinguishing between different terms for "service model" is useful.

Actually, I would suggest to align the terminology in draft-ietf-l3sm-l3vpn-service-model accordingly, e.g., by using the term "Customer Service Model" in the L3SM WG. For instance, the title of draft-ietf-l3sm-l3vpn-service-model-12 "YANG Data Model for L3VPN service delivery" is quite inconsistent with the use of the term "service delivery" in draft-wu-opsawg-service-model-explained. It would be good to avoid confusion.

Despite the discussion in https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/opsawg/current/msg04486.html, the draft still contains the wording "all of the parameters". I continue to believe that a wording such as "the parameters" would be more consistent with the rest of the document talking about operator-specific augmentations etc.

The document, in particular in Section 6.1, could better distinguish between the terms "module" and "model", if an alignment with draft-ietf-netmod-yang-model-classification is the objective. One example where the terminology is not entirely consistent is the sentence "add an additional example of a Network Service YANG model as shown in Figure 4". That figure actually shows modules.

Apparently Section 6.4 refers to MEF 55. I wonder why the specification MEF 55 is not referenced. Also, I believe the terminology in Section 6.4 may have to be reviewed. For instance, MEF apparently uses the term reference points ("Management Interface Reference Point") instead of "interface" in MEF 55.

Editorial nit: s/to/two/ in "The service model may divided into to categories"

Michael