Re: [netmod] compact versus iterative representation of the overall schema

Ladislav Lhotka <lhotka@nic.cz> Mon, 23 May 2016 14:21 UTC

From: Ladislav Lhotka <lhotka@nic.cz>
Date: Mon, 23 May 2016 16:21:33 +0200
To: Lou Berger <lberger@labn.net>
Cc: netmod@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [netmod] compact versus iterative representation of the overall schema

> On 23 May 2016, at 15:58, Lou Berger <lberger@labn.net> wrote:
>
> Lada
>
> See below
>
> On 5/23/2016 9:43 AM, Ladislav Lhotka wrote:
>>> On 23 May 2016, at 14:30, Lou Berger <lberger@labn.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Lada,
>>>   I looks like no one really jumped on this one -- so better late than
>>> never ...
>>>
>>> When looking at the question below, we should consider the uses cases.
>>> I'm particularity interested (as a contributor) in the use case of
>>> nested mounts (NIs mounted within LNEs), as well as the case if  models
>>> that will only permit mounting of specific other models vs generically
>>> mounting any model.

>>> I think this only makes sense if this is scoped in some way.  For
>>> example, with LNEs, the parent/host server may not have visibility into
>>> the mounted models, (see draft-rtgyangdt-rtgwg-lne-model).  And even if
>> As I understand it, schema-mount is about accessing the LNE models from the parent/host management interface. I believe the real question is whether we want to allow the schema to dynamically change at run time and possibly throw in new modules that the client never heard of. #2 can do it while #1 can't. I am not sure though whether the LNE model really requires something like this.
>
> Again there are different use cases.  In the fixed-mount case (where a
> module containing the mount specifies what model is being mounted) a
> client will always know what to expect.  In the LNE and probably even NI
> cases, a single client may talk to multiple servers, each of which may
> have different mounted models.  I'm less sure about a single server with
> different models mounted under different NIs, but this is certainly
> possible in the LNE case.

OK, so it seems to be related to the use cases for peer mount, which IMO has a lot of other issues to solve.

>>> does, you have to consider the cases of mounted models contained within
>>> mounted models.
>> This is possible either way, provided that the complete schema is known upfront.
>
> I think the complete schema is likely to be known by there server
> upfront in all cases, but not the client.

Well, if the server knows everything upfront, it can also publish the schema in the compact form. A client may not support everything but at least it is able to tell whether it is the case or not.

Lada

--
Ladislav Lhotka, CZ.NIC Labs
PGP Key ID: E74E8C0C