[netmod] ECA Policy: Relationship with I2NSF YANG capability-data-model

Qin Wu <bill.wu@huawei.com> Tue, 09 March 2021 04:07 UTC

From: Qin Wu <bill.wu@huawei.com>
To: "pauljeong@skku.edu" <pauljeong@skku.edu>, "i2nsf@ietf.org" <i2nsf@ietf.org>, "netmod@ietf.org" <netmod@ietf.org>, "draft-ietf-i2nsf-capability-data-model@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-i2nsf-capability-data-model@ietf.org>, "draft-ietf-netmod-eca-policy@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-netmod-eca-policy@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2021 04:05:23 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.136.123.117]
Subject: [netmod] ECA Policy: Relationship with I2NSF YANG capability-data-model

Hi,
One of issues raised on draft-ietf-netmod-eca-policy-00 during adoption call is Relationship with I2NSF YANG capability-data-model.
I believe two work in I2NSF WG are related to draft-ietf-netmod-eca-policy (https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-netmod-eca-policy-01).
1. RFC8329, which define ECA as Imperative paradigm related to data packet or data flow treatment, three clause are defined
 a. An Event clause is used to trigger the evaluation of the Condition clause of the I2NSF Policy Rule.
 b. A Condition clause is used to determine whether or not the set of Actions in the I2NSF Policy Rule can be executed or not.
 c. An Action clause defines the type of operations that may be performed on this packet or flow.
I think this ECA paradigm is also security policy specific, not generic enough

2. draft-ietf-i2nsf-capability-data-model, which use RFC8529 as basis for the design of the capability model in draft-ietf-i2nsf-capability-data-model;

Here is the ECA definition we proposed in draft-ietf-netmod-eca-policy
 a. The event is defined as one related to datastore subscription or event stream subscription.
 b. Condition: Condition can be seen as a logical test that, if satisfied or evaluated to be true, causes the action to be carried out.
 c. Action: Update or invocation on local managed object attributes.
As you can see ECA is not tied to specific technology, to clarify the relationship with I2NSF YANG capability-data-model, we think
NSF can be an example use case for draft-ietf-netmod-eca-policy.
Let us know if this proposal make sense to you. Thanks!

-Qin (on behalf of authors)