RE: [newtrk] web-based lists of RFCs

Pekka Savola <pekkas@netcore.fi> Wed, 06 July 2005 13:03 UTC

Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 16:02:37 +0300
From: Pekka Savola <pekkas@netcore.fi>
To: john.loughney@nokia.com
cc: blilly@erols.com, newtrk@lists.uoregon.edu
Subject: RE: [newtrk] web-based lists of RFCs
Sender: owner-newtrk@lists.uoregon.edu

Hi,

On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 john.loughney@nokia.com wrote:
> There's still another half you forgot to mention - RFC Editor's Queue.
> I suppose you are familiar with
> ftp://ftp.isi.edu/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipv6-node-requirements-11.txt
>
> Its been in the RFC Editor's queue since 2004/08/26. This document kicked
> of a revision of a number of RFC's, which know are in IESG review, meaning
> that by the time it is actually published, it will be out of date.  It was
> first published as a draft on June 18th, 2002.

I excluded the RFC editor's queue intentionally, for two
reasons:

   1) the users of roadmap (and similar) documents should be able to
use the latest, approved draft in the meantime, before the RFC is
published.

   2) the delay of in the RFC publication (after approval) can
typically be optimized by not including normative references to
work-in-progress.  In the case you cite, the document has been sitting
idle basically because is had to wait for the completion of other
work.

For the TCP roadmap, there had been discussion whether to include
references to work-in-progress, but such attempts were wisely rejected
by sufficient justification that we want to document the state as it
is now, not which we hope it to be in a year or two.  In some cases,
this may or may not be possible. [For node requirements, I recall that
security ADs requested these changes; maybe it would have been
possible to convince them of the timeliness requirements, if there
were any, maybe not.]

However, I've noticed that 2) incurs another "penalty" for the waiting
drafts.  When, at last, all the normative references have entered the
RFC editor's queue, it will take the usual ~2-4 months (or
thereabouts) for the referred documents to pop out.  On the other
hand, if the handling of documents which are required by the other
documents was more or less automatically expedited, we might be able
to cut off a couple of months from the publication of a document which
has normative references to works in progress.

Whether such an automatic expedition process might or might not have
unfortunate steering effects on the work flow is another debate,
though.  (The IESG, as it is, has the ability to request expedited
processing of drafts in RFC-editor's queue.)

.
web user interface: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/newtrk.html
mhonarc archive: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/newtrk/index.html