Re: [newtrk] Some "standards" really are one-level standards...

John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com> Fri, 17 March 2006 03:08 UTC

Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 22:03:47 -0500
From: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>
To: Spencer Dawkins <spencer@mcsr-labs.org>, newtrk@lists.uoregon.edu
Subject: Re: [newtrk] Some "standards" really are one-level standards...
Sender: owner-newtrk@lists.uoregon.edu

--On Thursday, 16 March, 2006 09:47 -0600 Spencer Dawkins
<spencer@mcsr-labs.org> wrote:

> I was looking back at my own Gen-ART reviews recently
> (http://www.alvestrand.no/ietf/gen/art/gen-art-by-reviewer.htm
> l), and noticed a common thread on several reviews that I
> wanted to mention.
>
> The following is NOT about one-level versus two-level
> standards tracks, as we have been discussing them, so please
> clear memory before reading further...
>
> We have been using Proposed Standard for things like registry
> creation and the Lemonade profiles, mostly because we don't
> know what else to use, and this leaves with the slightly
> embarrassing situation that we're creating "Proposed
> Standards" that CAN'T advance (if someone creates two
> registries, that would be a BAD thing, right?).
> JohnK published draft-ietf-newtrk-sd-00.txt about a year ago,
> which proposed moving the process documents that we often
> publish a BCPs to a separate series. This expired draft would
> make BCPs a reasonable place to publish documents that we want
> to receive "standards-track review", if we un-expire it and do
> something with it.

Note that draft-alvestrand-ipod-00.txt, which was recently
posted, suggests, to a first approximation, the same general
idea of moving process documents into another series, with
different rules.  Should the community be sympathetic to that
proposal, we could try to resolve the (fairly few) substantive
differences between the two proposals (either before, during, or
after the 3933 experiment that Harald proposes).

The existence of Harald's document was one important reason I
didn't re-post the draft to which you refer when I posted a
revised version of draft-ietf-newtrk-repurpose-std last week.

> Maybe one more hallway conversation topic at the Anatole?

Perhaps, although, from my point of view, this is one more piece
of the "what should we be doing about Newtrk, PESCI, and process
reformation efforts in general" topic that is on the General
Area meeting agenda (at least in the abstract).  Of course,
Brian may not agree -- I haven't discussed this with him, so I
just don't know.

    john

.
web user interface: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/newtrk.html