[nfsv4] [FedFS] Meeting Minutes, 12/10/2009

James Lentini <jlentini@netapp.com> Thu, 10 December 2009 21:29 UTC

Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 16:29:34 -0500
From: James Lentini <jlentini@netapp.com>
To: nfsv4@ietf.org
Subject: [nfsv4] [FedFS] Meeting Minutes, 12/10/2009

FedFS Meeting Minutes, 12/10/2009
---------------------------------

Attendees
---------

Andy Adamson (NetApp)
Sorin Faibish (EMC)
Paul LeMahieu (EMC)
James Lentini (NetApp)
Pavan Mettu (Sun)
Trond Myklebust (NetApp)
Chris Stacey (EMC)
Robert Thurlow (Sun)
Renu Tewari (IBM)

Minutes
-------

+ IETF Note Well Agreement

  This is a reminder that our discussions are governed by the
  IETF Note Well Agreement. See:

    http://www.ietf.org/NOTEWELL.html

  We will start each week's meeting with this announcement.

+ Review Action Items

  - James Lentini will investigate if an LDAP client can automatically
    determine the security properties of an LDAP directory.

    Open. James did some initial research but has not found anything
    yet.

+ Mailing List Questions

  - FSL Resolution

    The mailing list thread is here:

    http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/nfsv4/current/msg07593.html

    The question raised in this discussion is how a fileserver
    generates a referral based on the results of resolving a junction.

    The example in Section 3.2 of draft-ietf-nfsv4-federated-fs-reqts-06
    states:

       5.  The server converts one of the FSLs to the location type used by
       the client (e.g., fs_location for NFSv4, as described in
       [RFC3530]).

    An FSN may map to multiple FSLs, but the example indicates that a
    single FSL is returned to the client.

    While this is just an example and not a requirement, it nevertheless
    confusing.

    James proposed changing "one of the FSLs" to "one or more of the FSLs"
    to clarify the example. No objections were raised to this change.

    Chris stated that he was in favor of leaving the process of generating
    a referral an implementation decision.

    James agreed and suggested that it would be conceivable that a
    fileserver would filter the FSLs for any number of reasons.

    Trond suggested that one case where a fileserver might wish to
    filter the FSLs would be when fileserver knew some of the FSLs
    were inaccessible to the client. For example an FSL might be behind
    firewall that prevents the client's access.

    Chris offered another potential use case: a fileserver may wish to
    do load balancing.

    Rob pointed out that allowing a fileserver to perform some type of data
    reduction on the FSL results was also required. FedFS FSLs store the full
    NFSv4.1 fs_locations_info data. Some fileservers will be reducing FSLs to
    the more limited NFSv4.0 fs_locations data. Therefore, the fileserver need
    to think about what to present to clients. The fileserver might want to
    simplify the list, although Rob didn't see a big problem with returning
    the full list.

    Trond noted that, in this particular case, the v4.0 client will only
    choose one of these entries.

    James asked about read only FSLs. FedFS FSLs have a writeable flag which
    can be communicated in an fs_locations_info attribute, but not an
    fs_locations attribute. Would it make sense for the a fileserver to cull
    out the readonly FSLs for a v4.0 client?

    Trond felt that this might be a more practical example. He also noted
    that for replicated filesets, the fs_locations_info allows the client
    to learn now how often the fileset is updated. There is no way to
    communicate this information in an fs_locations attribute. To direct
    a v4.0 client to the most up-to-date instance of a fileset, the entries
    for a fileset could be arranged in the fs_locations list in order of
    most to least up-to-date (the best option would be first in the list).

    Chris stated that the current approach for allowing fileservers to
    generate referrals was useful.

    Trond proposed that recommendations on how a fileserver generate
    a referral from FSL information be included in one of the drafts and
    that the door be left open for fileserver filtering of the FSL
    information.

    James proposed adding the recommendations to the NSDB draft and
    making the minor working change above to the requirements draft.

    [AI] James Lentini draft clarification for step 5 of the example in
         Section 3.2 of draft-ietf-nfsv4-federated-fs-reqts-06.

    [AI] James Lentini draft recommendations for how to generate
         a referral based on FSL information.

  - Root Fileset

    The mailing list thread is here:

    http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/nfsv4/current/msg07594.html

    Chris reviewed the current options for implementing the root of a
    namespace. The root may be either a normal filesystem or root fileset
    NSDB object. Chris is uneasy about allowing both options. The
    filesystem option implies to Chris that only homogeneous fileservers
    could be used for root servers because it implies some amount of
    replication between the root servers. Heterogeneous fileset replications
    seems a long way off.

    Rob suggested that heterogeneous replication might not be as difficult
    with new facilities in v4. For example, volatile filehandles mean that
    filehandles do not need to be replicated. That said, Rob sees the
    future work of this group is on a draft describing how root fileset
    data is stored in the NSDB. In some ways we are moving the replication
    problem from the fileservers to the NSDBs. The LDAP replication story
    is not great, but there are options and will allow the namespace root
    to be hosted on fileservers from multiple vendors.

    Chris noted that if option to use a real filesystem is present,
    then all the functionality that implies is possible. If the namespace root
    is a real filesystem, the namespace root can contain real files, all the
    richness of security options, etc. This will make moving to an NSDB-base
    FSL difficult. We do expect an NSDB-based root fileset to be more
    restrictive.

    Renu suggested that it was time to start up the discussions on the
    root fileset again.

    Chris asked how allow both a filesystem or root fileset as the namespace
    root.

    Andy suggested describing the expectations and restrictions.

    Chris noted that even the names of directories become sensitive. For
    example, the fact that a directory exists with a project name should
    not be visible to everyone.

    Rob asked if these types of security concerns were our problem. He
    suggested that we are in the connectivity business. There are ways to
    arrange the namespace to protect information, for example by placing
    sensitive project names as subdirectories in a normal fileset.

    Rob suggested that when the root fileset draft was ready, the other
    drafts be updated to point to it as a SHOULD. Rob would like the
    expectation and norm be that the root fileset is defined in the LDAP
    NSDB. Building a root fileset by hand would be possible, but not
    desirable.

   Andy suggested that rules are necessary and important when
   organizations are joined together and combine their namespaces.

   Chris believes that there are parallels between an NSDB root
   fileset and a DFS root fileset.

   James noted that he was concern about placing dependencies to
   an unwritten draft on the existing documents. The plan proposed in
   April'09 was to move forward with the core FedFS specifications
   and allow the root fileset definition to proceed at its own pace.

   Chris said that this sounds good. He would like to capture our
   tentative conclusions from today.

+ Admin NSDB Trust Anchor Management

  We reviewed our discussion from last week and the following
  mailing list discussion.

  Trond noted that we need more detail on the proposals.

  James agreed. We discussed several potential security
  options. It seems like there are three options emerging:
  NULL, TLS, and SASL+Kerberos 5. It is unclear how useful
  SASL+Kerberos 5 would be.

  Trond asked if we could define a set of security options
  and allow for future extensions. He suggested that a
  possibility would be to include an opaque field with a format
  determined by the security parameter, similar to RPC.

  James agreed that this was a good idea and said he had been
  thinking along these same lines.

  Trond suggested that, if the ADs were comfortable with this
  approach, it would be reasonable to define one or two
  security mechanisms now and defer the defining other options
  until there was a need.

  [AI] James Lentini draft text for Admin draft with security
  mechanisms.

  James noted that we are falling a bit behind our schedule.
  We had hoped to have the documents finalized before the end
  of the calendar year. Given that reviewing the changes above
  will take some amount of time, the earliest documents would
  be finalized is January'10.