[nfsv4] [FedFS] Meeting Minutes, 09/10/2009

James Lentini <jlentini@netapp.com> Thu, 10 September 2009 19:26 UTC

Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 15:27:14 -0400
From: James Lentini <jlentini@netapp.com>
To: nfsv4@ietf.org
Subject: [nfsv4] [FedFS] Meeting Minutes, 09/10/2009

FedFS Meeting Minutes, 09/10/2009
---------------------------------

Attendees
---------

Andy Adamson (NetApp)
Sorin Faibish (EMC)
Paul Lemahieu (EMC)
James Lentini (NetApp)
Pavan Mettu (Sun)
Trond Myklebust (NetApp)
Chris Stacey (EMC)
Renu Tewari (IBM)
Rob Thurlow (Sun)

Minutes
-------

+ IETF Note Well Agreement

  This is a reminder that our discussions are governed by the
  IETF Note Well Agreement. See:

    http://www.ietf.org/NOTEWELL.html

  We will start each week's meeting with this announcement.

+ Review Action Items

  - James Lentini find out who is attending Bake-a-thon from NetApp.

  Complete.

  - James Lentini will draft text describing the format of the fedfsNfsPath

  Complete.

+ Austin NFS Bake-a-thon

+ NSDB Draft Update

  Review updated NSDB draft:

  http://jlentini.users.sourceforge.net/draft-ietf-nfsv4-federated-fs-protocol-03bis.txt

  A diff with the published draft is here:

  http://jlentini.users.sourceforge.net/draft-ietf-nfsv4-federated-fs-protocol-rfcdiff.html

  This update includes the changes we've been discussing on the mailing
  list and at our weekly meetings, including:

  - Reference DNS SRV document
  - Clarify LDAP user configuration (Section 4.1)
  - Updated fedfsNfsPathname to use pathname4 encoding
  - Expand descriptions to include example values (Section 5)
  - Add missing LDAP OID registration field.

+ Admin Draft Update

  The admin draft has been updated to use the equivalent of a pathname4
  data type. The current text specifies a unique type rather than
  rely on the NFSv4 definition.

+ Discuss Feedback on LDAP Configuration

  We discussed the recent discussion threads about our LDAP configuration.
  Nico Williams had a conflict and was unable to attend.

  [AI] Nico Williams will send his proposed changes to our LDAP
       configuration (o=fedfs) and the format of the FSL's pathname
       attribute.

  There were comments that we didn't need UUIDs. Rob Thurlow spoke with
  Nico about his concerns and believes Nico has a suggestion for how to
  address them. We discussed the advantages of using UUIDs versus names.
  With UUIDS, the system is able to store the FSN in the filesystem once
  and forever. The FSN never needs to change. Name collisions will not
  occur. A human readable name is good if users are expected to
  read it, but users are not required to read FSNs (although we expect them
  to be viewable using advanced commands).

  Nico was also concerned that our LDAP design requires a dedicated
  set of LDAP server. He would like to see a specification that allows either
  separate LDAP servers or re-use of existing LDAP servers.

  James stated that if there was some way to remove the o=fedfs and
  keep the simplicity, that would be an improvement.

  There were also concerns about storing the FSL pathname in XDR format.
  A binary field does not allow users to view and manipulate the field
  easily with standard tools. James noted that some tools (e.g. Apache
  Directory Studio) allow binary fields to be viewed, although
  the interface is similar to a hex editor, and edited. Trond noted
  that the FSL has other binary fields such as the fedfsNfsInfo. James
  also mentioned that fields such as the fedfsNfsFlags are strings
  representing binary data (A user that views the value "1" for
  fedfsNfsFlags will need to understand that the flag specified
  by that value).

  James stated that his goal was for the FedFS database to have
  the same expressive capabilities with respect to pathnames as
  the NFS protocol.

  We did a short brain storm of how to satisfy these two goals:
  use a string formatted pathname field for easy reading by tools
  and be capable of describing all pathnames supported by NFS.

  One idea was to create two path-related attributes in the FSL,
  one with a string containing the path and another with the
  pathname separator. Trond noted that there are filesystems that
  have multiple pathname separators. For example a windows pathname
  can have a ":" and "\". VMS pathnames are also notoriously
  complex. It may be possible to address this by including multiple
  pathname separators. More time needs to be spent thinking about
  this.

  Trond suggested that another option may be to use labels for
  each path component, similar to how LDAP Distinguished Names
  (e.g. cn="foo",...).

  Nico may also have a proposal for how to address the above.

  [AI] James Lentini, in consultation with Trond, will think
       about a pathname format that is human readable and capable
       of describing all possible NFS paths.

  Nico is also interested in how the system would operate when
  two companies merged.

  Rob asked if or should there be a mechanism for specifying
  that an NSDB used a non-default port. The default LDAP port
  is 389. There were questions about what the extra flexibility
  would enable and the interaction with firewalls. The format
  for an FSN's NSDB value is specified in the NSDB draft on
  page 5 and Admin draft on page 7.

  [AI] Rob Thurlow will consider the use of alternative LDAP ports
       for an NSDB and report back with a recommendation to the group.

  Trond described an idea he had shared with Craig offline regarding
  zero configuration and the DNS SRV draft. Trond suggested that the
  DNS SRV draft have a recommendation that the local top level
  path be reserved for zero configuration setups. In small environments
  (a home user or small business), there may not be a full featured DNS
  server running. However those environments may have UPnP or Bonjour
  which do offer SRV records. It would be convenient if a new NAS unit
  would find the local root filesystem and could configure itself
  into the namespace. Trond and Craig will complete their offline
  discussion and report back with a proposal. We will put this item
  on the agenda for next week.

  [AI] Trond Myklebust will send zero-configuration DNS SRV proposal