Re: [nfsv4] Write-behind caching

<david.noveck@emc.com> Tue, 26 October 2010 03:26 UTC

Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 23:24:35 -0400
From: david.noveck@emc.com
To: sshepler@microsoft.com, nfsv4@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [nfsv4] Write-behind caching

I agree that the intent was to cover a variety of layout types.

I think what you are saying about the issue of different throughputs for
having and not having layouts also makes sense.  It may in some way have
led to the statement in RFC5661 but those statements are by no means the
same.  They have different consequences.  I take it that you are saying
(correctly) something like:

     However, write-behind implementations will generally need to bound
     the amount of unwritten date so that given the bandwidth of the
     output path, the data can be written in a reasonable time.  Clients

     which have layouts should avoid keeping larger amounts to reflect a
     situation in which a layout provides a write path of higher
bandwidth.
     This is because a CB_LAYOUTRECALL may be received.  The client
     should not delay returning the layout so as to use that
higher-bandwidth
     path, so it is best if it assumes, in limiting the amount of data
     to be written, that the write bandwidth is only what is available
     without the layout, and that it uses this bandwidth assumption even
     if it does happen to have a layout.

This differs from the text in RFC5661 in a few respects.

	First it says that the amount of dirty data should be the same
when
	you have the layout and when you don't, rather than simply
saying it
	should be small when you have the layout, possibly implying that
it
 	should be smaller than when you don't have a layout.

	Second the text now in RFC5661 strongly implies that when you
get
	CB_LAYOUTRECALL, you would normally start new IO's, rather than
      simply drain the pending IO's and return the layout ASAP.

So I don't agree that what is in RFC5661 is good implementation advice,
particularly in suggesting that clients should delay the LAYOUTRETURN
while doing a bunch of IO, including starting new IO's.