RE: [nfsv4] allowed delayed writes via AUTH_GSS

Carl Burnett <cburnett@us.ibm.com> Thu, 02 October 2003 18:28 UTC

To: nfsv4@ietf.org
Subject: RE: [nfsv4] allowed delayed writes via AUTH_GSS
From: Carl Burnett <cburnett@us.ibm.com>
Sender: nfsv4-admin@ietf.org
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2003 13:26:27 -0500

I think this does represent a fairly serious problem with the protocol.
You have situations where a client cannot return resources to a server. In
the previously discussed cases of CLOSE and LOCKU, this potentially leads
to the inability to access files because the client can't release state
and there is no way short of manual intervention for the server to recover
the resource. I am not referring the extreme cases where someone leaves an
app running with opens and locks. Its the more typical cases where an
application terminates, perhaps due to an EACCES upon loss of
authentication, the client can't do its job. At least for the DELEGRETURN
case the server can recall the delegation.

From a security perspective, I think you have to view it with a separation
of the security around the file system resources that are being protected
and the security around the client host to server host state management.
The security of the file system resources is based on the real user
accessing the files and enforcement of the access controls on them. That's
different from the security of the client to server shared state. With
SETCLIENTID, the protocol has already established that state control is in
fact based on the security of SETCLIENTID. The problem is that the
protocol operations for more granular state control have been coupled to
file system export controls because of the use of the PUTFH operation.

As as been discussed, environments desiring stronger security beyond the
protection of the data would probably want to leverage the use of
RPCSEC-GSS on SETCLIENTID by creating a machine principal for the client.
But history says many environments will not do this to reduce
administration on the client side. They still get the strong security on
the data, which is the key thing.

I am hoping for some good discussion on this topic at the upcoming
bakeoff.

Thanks,
Carl

Carl Burnett
AIX Kernel Architecture - Network File System
(512) 838-8498, TL 678-8498
(please reply to cburnett@us.ibm.com)

Mike Eisler <mike@eisler.com>
Sent by: nfsv4-admin@ietf.org