Re: [nfsv4] Review of http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-naik-nfsv4-xattrs-01.txt

David Quigley <dpquigl@davequigley.com> Wed, 08 October 2014 13:21 UTC

Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2014 09:21:22 -0400
From: David Quigley <dpquigl@davequigley.com>
To: Nico Williams <nico@cryptonector.com>
Cc: NFSv4 <nfsv4@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [nfsv4] Review of http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-naik-nfsv4-xattrs-01.txt

On 10/03/2014 15:20, Nico Williams wrote:

>> The draft takes the stance that xattrs exist on many platforms, there
>> is no standard for their use, and that means there is no need to
>> define any requirements for the use in NFS.
>
> Here I agree with you that the I-D must explain how the server helps
> mediate access control.  And it must explain that some xattrs have
> security-relevant semantics.  But that's as far as an NFSv4
> specification can go here.

I think that the xattrs exposed through this shouldn't be
security-relevant unless you're talking about application layer
security. I don't care if a web app or some user-space program uses an
xattr for its internal access control but anything beyond that I don't
think is ok. Trond in the past has expressed concerns about people
establishing arbitrary sub protocols by using xattrs. I agree that this
is a problem because it opens up the system to interoperability issues
by encouraging people to bypass any sort of standardization effort and
just using the excuse that its just opaque data.

>> 2) Subject/Object labels can control access to the xattr.
>>
>> So some of these concerns go away with LNFS. But the fact that LNFS
>> does take care of some of the security in my mind means that the draft
>> needs to call out what happens when there is no LNFS available.
>
> LNFS seems orthogonal here.  RPCSEC_GSSv3 is more relevant.

I agree. LNFS is just another way of conveying access control and
because we punted on syntax, semantics and enforcement I think the only
references to access control should be what is concretely defined in
NFSv4. In that case it would be existing RPCSEC_GSS flavors for
authentication and NFSv4 ACLs.