[nfsv4] one more try at RFC3530 internationalization.

"Noveck, David" <david.noveck@emc.com> Wed, 07 August 2013 20:22 UTC

From: "Noveck, David" <david.noveck@emc.com>
To: "nfsv4 list (nfsv4@ietf.org)" <nfsv4@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2013 15:40:18 -0400
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: [nfsv4] one more try at RFC3530 internationalization.

I've been working with Tom Haynes and David Black to come with an
approach to internationalization for RFC3530bis, that meets the IESG's
objections and has a good chance of being approved.

The approach to be taken is basically to get an internationalization
description that matches what people have implemented.  I think it is
pretty clear that does not match the stringprep-based approach taken in
RFC3530, although we may have some issues proving that fact to the IESG,
or more properly, giving Martin the information he needs to prove it to
the IESG.

The internationalization approach in the curent RF3530bis draft,
draft-ietf-nfsv4-rfc3530bis-26 attempted to make the stringprep stuff
non-normtive nd loosen it nough tht current implentations fit withiin
it.  unfortunately, the IESG ididn't like it, so we need something else.

The proposed approach is to base the new RFC3530bis handling of
internationalization on the internationlization tretament in
draft-ietf-nfsv4-rfc3010bis-04, the last draft for rfc3530 before
it was stringprep-ized.  I feel that this is simple enough that we
can clearly make the case, with the implementer's help, that this
is what current servers and clients do and getting RFC3530bis approved.

The rest of this mail surveys the intrnationalization-related changes
that are proposed to follow through on this approach.

As mentioned we are starting with Chapter 11 of
draft-ietf-nfsv4-rfc3010bis-04 and making the following changes:

  o  Added an introductory section explaining that this is description
     of current implementations, even though the words
     MUST/SHOULD/MAY/should are used to guide future implementations.
  o  Deleted the sections containing a discussion of encoding
     alternatives and put in simple statement that a UTF-8 encoding of
     Unicode is to be used.
  o  Added a section distinguishing how different sorts of strings are
     handled.
  o  In the normalization section changed "A later revision of this
     specification may specify a particular normalization form" to
     "A subsequent minor version of the NFSv4 protocol might specify
     a particular normalization form."
  o  Added in a new section derived from section 12.6 of rfc3530bis.
  o  Added a new paragraph saying what server MAY and MAY NOT do
     regarding normalization.
  o  In the error discussion replaced a "should" by "SHOULD".  This is
     not primarily to strengthen the requirement, although that is the
     effect.  It is mainly to make it clear that some servers will not
     be doing it.  There are also other changes in that section to tie
     in with that.

There are another set of changes to undo the changes to the XDR to
define more precisely what the utf-8 attributes of various sorts of
strings are.  Basically we are leaving ascii_REQUIRED4 in and changing
all instances of the new utf* types back to utf8string.  This includes
changes to draft-ietf-nfsv4-rfc3530bis-dox-x  plus the following changes
to draft-ietf-nfsv4-rfc3530bis outside the internationalization chapter.

  o  Deleting the definitions of these types in section 2.1.  Also the
     uses of these types in this section.
  o  Adjust the definition in 2.2.6 (of fs_location4). Also another
     occurrence of the same in 7.9)
  o  Fixing a similar definition in 6.2.1. (of nfs4ace4).

Any comments before we go ahead with a new draft based on this
approach?