[nfsv4] [I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-nfsv4-channel-bindings-00.txt]

Nicolas Williams <Nicolas.Williams@sun.com> Mon, 27 October 2003 20:09 UTC

From: Nicolas Williams <Nicolas.Williams@sun.com>
To: ipsec@lists.tislabs.com, ietf-sasl@imc.org, ipsec-policy@vpnc.org, ietf-krb-wg@anl.gov, ietf-tls@lists.certicom.com, ietf-ssh@netbsd.org, ietf-cat-wg@lists.stanford.edu, ips@ietf.org
Cc: nfsv4@ietf.org
Subject: [nfsv4] [I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-nfsv4-channel-bindings-00.txt]
Sender: nfsv4-admin@ietf.org
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 12:03:50 -0800

[Apologies for the cross-post; followups should NOT be cross-posted this
 widely.

 Please Cc ONLY the appropriate WG mailing list(s) on any replies.

 Since I am not subscribed to all of the relevant WGs' mailing lists,
 please Cc me in all replies.]

The NFSv4 WG I-D on channel bindings needs review from several IETF WGs.

This I-D, draft-ietf-nfsv4-channel-bindings-00.txt, goes along with the
soon to be published draft-ietf-nfsv4-ccm-03.txt (currently: -02).

We would appreciate feedback from the Cc'ed WGs on several areas as
requested below.  Please cc the appropriate WG lists only in your
replies.

The I-D announcement is included below, including the I-D Abstract.

Thanks,

Nico

Review requests:

 - From all the cc'ed WGs, the security community in general and the
   [concluded] CAT WG mailing list:

    o Please review the generic definition of "channel bindings" in this
      I-D and the concept of "channel bindings" in general.

   (Use the CAT WG list and/or the NFSv4 WG list.)

 - From the IPSEC WG:

    o Please review the IPsec channel construction in this I-D and the
      relevant interface requirements.

    o Please review the IPsec channel bindings construction.

    (Use the IPSEC WG and/or the IPSP WG lists.)

 - From the IPSP WG:

    o Please review the IPsec channel construction in this I-D and the
      relevant interface requirements.

    (Use the IPSEC WG and/or the IPSP WG lists.)

 - From the IPS WG:

    o Please consider the channel bindings concept as a general solution
      to the problems with the iSCSI approach to security ("authenticate
      at iSCSI layer with x, y or z authentication technology, but
      delegate session integrity/confidentiality protection to IPsec").

      See the introduction (section 1) of this I-D for a description of
      the problem with the iSCSI approach to security.

      (I realize that I'm late to the iSCSI party - my goal is not to
       affect the progression of the iSCSI I-Ds to Proposed Standard and
       publication as RFCs, far from it.)

   (Use the IPS WG list.)

 - From the TLS WG:

    o Please review the construction of channel bindings to TLS channels
      given in this I-D.

   (Use the TLS WG list.)

 - From the SECSH WG:

    o Please review the construction of channel bindings to SSHv2
      channels given in this I-D.

   (Use the SECSH WG list.)

 - From the KRB WG:

    o Please review sections 3.3 and 4.5 of this I-D.

   (Use the KRB WG list.)

 - From the SASL WG:

    o Please review section 3.2 of this I-D.

   (Use the SASL WG list.)

----- Forwarded message from Internet-Drafts@ietf.org -----