Re: [nfsv4] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-dnoveck-nfsv4-rpcrdma-rtrext-02.txt

Christoph Hellwig <hch@lst.de> Tue, 06 June 2017 06:42 UTC

Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2017 08:42:52 +0200
From: Christoph Hellwig <hch@lst.de>
To: David Noveck <davenoveck@gmail.com>, "Black, David" <David.Black@dell.com>
Cc: "nfsv4@ietf.org" <nfsv4@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [nfsv4] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-dnoveck-nfsv4-rpcrdma-rtrext-02.txt

Hi David,

send based data placement in it's current form only makes sense for
transfers from the client to the server (e.g. NFSv4 WRITE).  For transfers
from the server to the client (e.g. NFSv4 READ) the client has to place
the data into arbitrary buffers not controller by the NFS client,
so send-based data placement will lead to data copies on the client,
which will kill performance.  I'm speaking from experience because we
actually implemented this to verify the performance overhead for copies
in early NVMe over Fabrics prototypes.

That being said I've started drafting and prototyping a Verbs extension
for a tagged RECV WR.  Right now it's just a software implementation,
and there is conѕiderable hardware complexity if we want to implement
it in HCA.  I could talk about this idea a bit in Prague, but I'm not
sure about the venue - it's clearly not NFSv4 WG material, and there
doesn't seem to be a follow on to the STORM WG.  Ccing Dave Black if
he has any idea.

Also I find the idea to split requests into multiple sends just to
avoid RDMA ops very questionable - the latency advantage of SEND
from the client to the server vs RDMA read from the server mostly
matters to reduce the latency for small I/Os.  For large overheads
the registration (or in fact usually unregistration) overhead does
not matter in the grand scheme.  Last but not least modern RDMA
protocols have show us that we should simplify credit management
instead of making it even more complex as that has been one of the
major sources of bugs.