Re: [nfsv4] Ben Campbell's Abstain on draft-ietf-nfsv4-mv1-msns-update-04: (with COMMENT)

Ben Campbell <ben@nostrum.com> Thu, 07 March 2019 23:38 UTC

From: Ben Campbell <ben@nostrum.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2019 17:38:23 -0600
Cc: Datatracker on behalf of Ben Campbell <ietf-secretariat-reply@ietf.org>, draft-ietf-nfsv4-mv1-msns-update@ietf.org, nfsv4-chairs@ietf.org, The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>, NFSv4 <nfsv4@ietf.org>, Spencer Shepler <spencer.shepler@gmail.com>
To: David Noveck <davenoveck@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [nfsv4] Ben Campbell's Abstain on draft-ietf-nfsv4-mv1-msns-update-04: (with COMMENT)

Hi, thanks for the response. A few comments inline:

Thanks!

Ben.

> On Mar 7, 2019, at 5:23 AM, David Noveck <davenoveck@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> It couldn't be quite that simple since a bis document would need to address a number of other things:
>
>    - Replace the internationalization chapter so it coresponds to that of RFC7530 and existing NFSv4.1 implementations.   The one in rfc5661 is flat-out wrong and, as with the one in rfc3530, people never really read it.
>     - There are a significant number of erratta accumulated for RFC5661 which would have to be addressed in a bis document.
>
> In any case, I and many people within the group felt that, having lived through the rfc3530bis experience, that "simple" was unlikely to be an appropriate adjective to apply to the publication of a bis document for a large document such as RFC5661.

On today’s telechat, multiple people suggested they could probably accept a bis draft that did not solve all known (or even all serious) problems, as long as there was text point that the material issues that remained unfixed. I think that was said in the abstract, so I can’t speak for how it would impact this particular document.

> Another option, short of a full bis, that I considered was simply to apply the changes to Section eleven in
> the document under review and include that full replacement section instead of the detailed changes that are currently there.   The reason I didn't take that approach is that, while that document might be much easier for a NFSv4.1 neophyte to read, it would more difficult more those in the working group (many of whom are implementers) to assimilate and review.  People would be left to diff the two section 11's and figure out what changed.

While I would have to see text to really assess things, I think this would be better than the current state. At least, it would be much more likely that two different people would perceive the updated draft the same way.

As far as diffs are concerned, that’s commonly the case for any bis draft as well. (I regularly request people avoid non-essential changes to help keep the diffs useful.) The better bis drafts include sections that describe the material changes.

> I understand the issues that this approach raises for an important class of readers but I feel that, practically speaking, the majority who would have to act on this work are implementers who are already familiar with the existing Section 11, with a large fraction of those involved in the work of the working group.   Clearly the needs of others, with less familiarity with NFSv4.1 would have to be met by a bis document, which I have started on.

I think it’s important that open standards be accessible by people new to a protocol. I am skeptical that people who are already familiar with the protocol would have that much trouble figuring out the changes, especially if the bis draft describes the material changes.