[nfsv4] [FedFS] Meeting Minutes, 12/17/2009

James Lentini <jlentini@netapp.com> Thu, 17 December 2009 19:52 UTC

Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 14:52:26 -0500
From: James Lentini <jlentini@netapp.com>
To: nfsv4@ietf.org
Subject: [nfsv4] [FedFS] Meeting Minutes, 12/17/2009

FedFS Meeting Minutes, 12/17/2009
---------------------------------

Attendees
---------

Sorin Faibish (EMC)
Paul LeMahieu (EMC)
James Lentini (NetApp)
Trond Myklebust (NetApp)
Chris Stacey (EMC)
Robert Thurlow (Sun)
Renu Tewari (IBM)

Minutes
-------

+ IETF Note Well Agreement

  This is a reminder that our discussions are governed by the
  IETF Note Well Agreement. See:

    http://www.ietf.org/NOTEWELL.html

  We will start each week's meeting with this announcement.

+ Review Action Items

  - James Lentini will investigate if an LDAP client can automatically
    determine the security properties of an LDAP directory.

    Complete. Some security information can be found by inspecting the
    root DSA-specific Entry (DSE) [DSA == Directory System Agent].
    The root DSE contains operation attributes such as
    supportedSASLMechanisms. See Section 5.1 of RFC 4512.

    These facilities do not appear to be useful for our purposes
    since a fileserver would need to be securely communicating with
    an NSDB to rely on them.

  - James Lentini draft clarification for step 5 of the example in
    Section 3.2 of draft-ietf-nfsv4-federated-fs-reqts-06.

    Complete. See

    http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/nfsv4/current/msg07601.html

  - James Lentini draft recommendations for how to generate
    a referral based on FSL information.

    Complete. See

    http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/nfsv4/current/msg07620.html

  - James Lentini draft text for Admin draft with security
    mechanisms.

    Open. Waiting for mailing list discussion to conclude.

+ Status update on the FedFS Requirements Specification

  The document is nearing publication.

  The specification has been assigned an RFC number.

  RFC Editor review is complete. AUTH48 review is complete.

  Awaiting AD review and publication of the NFSv4.1 specification
  (the FedFS requirements specification makes a normative reference
  to the NFSv4.1 specification and depends on its publication).

+ Connectathon 2010

  Connectathon will be held at the end of February. This is a
  good opportunity to continue the FedFS interoperability testing
  from the October Bake-a-thon.

  Trond asked if there would be any updates to the SourceForge
  SNSDB Project.

  James stated that he is working on an update. The current code
  on sourceforge.net is compatible with the -03 NSDB draft. The
  new code will bring the SNSDB implementation in synch with the
  -04 NSDB draft. SNSDB update. The LDAP schema was updated in
  the -04 draft, and thus there are some C API changes. These
  changes are fairly minimal (new structure fields added). Updating
  implementations that depend on the library should not be a
  major task.

+ Review NSDB Draft Changes

  We reviewed the changes posted to the mailing list yesterday.
  The changes fall into these categories:

  1. The proposed text on generating a referral in Section 2.4.3

  2. A synchronization of the examples with the requirements
     document (see page 12).

  3. updated text on how to identify and locate an NSDB (more on this
     below)

  4. small text updates to synchronize with the RFC-Editor's
     suggestions for the requirements specification (capitalization
     changes in the glossary, etc.)

+ Holiday Meeting Schedule

  Our next meeting will be January 6, 2010.