[nfsv4] Minor Eccentrity of POSIX ACLs

Benny Halevy <bhalevy@panasas.com> Mon, 29 May 2006 10:58 UTC

Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 13:54:29 +0300
From: Benny Halevy <bhalevy@panasas.com>
To: marius@citi.umich.edu, bfields@fieldses.org
Cc: nfsv4@ietf.org
Subject: [nfsv4] Minor Eccentrity of POSIX ACLs

In draft-ietf-nfsv4-acl-mapping-04.txt, section 5 you say
that the following POSIX semantics cannot be expressed with
NFSv4 ACLs:

|   if a requester that is a member of more than one
|   group listed in the ACL requests multiple bits
simultaneously, the
|   POSIX algorithm requires all of the bits to be granted
simultaneously
|   by one of the group ACEs.  Thus a POSIX ACL such as
|
|     ACL_USER_OBJ: ---
|     ACL_GROUP_OBJ: ---
|     g1: r--
|     g2: -w-
|     ACL_MASK: rw-
|     ACL_OTHER: ---
|
|   will prevent a user that is a member of groups g1 and g2
from opening
|   a file for both read and write, even though read and
write would be
|   individually permitted.
|
|   The NFSv4 ACL permission-checking algorithm has the
property that it
|   permits a group of bits whenever it would permit each bit
|   individually, so it is impossible to mimic this
behaviour with an
|   NFSv4 ACL.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I think that this posix
eccentricity can be expressed with NFSv4 ACLs by having
explicit GROUP@ or group deny ACEs after each respective
GROUP@ or group allow ACE.

This may contradict your POSIX->NFSv4 mapping algorithm as
described in section 6.1 (second point numbered as "2" in
this section?... maybe it'd be better to number these rules
as 6.1.x.y so they could be easily referred to :). If so, I
think that the mapping problem should be described as such.

Benny