RE: (ngtrans) draft-wiljakka-3gpp-ipv6-transition-00.txt

Phil Roberts <PRoberts@MEGISTO.com> Wed, 24 July 2002 00:03 UTC

From: Phil Roberts <PRoberts@MEGISTO.com>
To: "'Jonne.Soininen@nokia.com'" <Jonne.Soininen@nokia.com>, Phil Roberts <PRoberts@MEGISTO.com>, luc.beloeil@rd.francetelecom.com, Karim.El-Malki@era.ericsson.se
Cc: juha.wiljakka@nokia.com, Erik.Nordmark@sun.com, ngtrans@sunroof.eng.sun.com, nicolas.martiquet@rd.francetelecom.com, brian@hursley.ibm.com
Subject: RE: (ngtrans) draft-wiljakka-3gpp-ipv6-transition-00.txt
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 19:57:46 -0400
Sender: owner-ngtrans@sunroof.eng.sun.com

> Phil,

Hi Jonne,

> > So what is to keep a handset from operating dual stack, contacting
> > a SIP server, finding out it's communicating partner is v4,
> > and running v4
> > to it?
> > I mean the 3g specs say this shouldn't be done, but it's a
> > far cry from
> > saying it couldn't be done.  You will have v4 connectivity
> capability.
> > What's
> > to force a user to use the IMS SIP anyway?
>
> GPRS provides a general IP connectivity. Thus, it is possible
> to do anything you want over it.
>
> However, the discussion was about IMS. The IMS specs say that
> it cannot be done. I tried to explain why it shouldn't be
> done technically bellow. In addition, because the lack of
> IPv4 addresses, use of dual stack would not be possible
> without IPv4 NATs.

Yes, I *think* I understand what the specs say.  So the question
becomes for the purpose of this document, what's to keep an
enterprising user/vendor from setting things up this way, and if
it's possible, do we need a scenario to cover it?

The only concrete limit seems to be the presence of NAT, but it isn't
always the case that a NAT is used.  Is the scope of the work to
include the possible cases, and see what is missing?  Or to move
toward a spec that says this is the way this *should* be done?