Re: [Nmlrg] Closedown of the proposed NMLRG and NMLRG mail list

Pedro Martinez-Julia <pedro@nict.go.jp> Thu, 08 December 2016 07:30 UTC

Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2016 16:30:01 +0900
From: Pedro Martinez-Julia <pedro@nict.go.jp>
To: Sheng Jiang <jiangsheng@huawei.com>
Cc: "nmlrg@irtf.org" <nmlrg@irtf.org>, Albert Cabellos <albert.cabellos@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Nmlrg] Closedown of the proposed NMLRG and NMLRG mail list

On Thu, Dec 08, 2016 at 06:28:43AM +0000, Sheng Jiang wrote:
> Hi, Pedro,

Hi,

> I fully agree that AI is wider than ML although it is more difficult
> to give a definition or border of AI technologies. We can certainly
> extend our scope from ML to AI. On other side, our scope is actually
> wider than network management. We also targeted autonomic network
> controlling from the very beginning.

I was tempted to mention "network control" but, from my point of view,
management is a broader term that can somehow include control. I agree
that Autonomic Networking (AN) would be a direct beneficiary of AI, and
therefore it gives more sense to the extended scope of the group.

Regarding the definition and border, from my point of view, they would
be naturally derived from the specific application of AI techniques to
network control and management. In fact, if we start defining the set of
concepts and relations I mentioned (more specifically, an ontology), it
would be clear where to establish the specific borders. However, almost
any AI technique could be useful in this context.

On the other hand, and maybe a bit against my own proposal, we have to
face the concerns (fears?) that many people have about AI mechanisms
taking decisions autonomously. We can begin with the definition of some
deployment plan (better name, please) that incrementally gives autonomy
to the final system, together with a set of rules (standard?) that must
be set to every AI-based management and control system. As a note, it
can follow the steps of the autonomous cars that are already being left
driving alone, also taking into account and learning from their flaws
and problems.

Finally, if many group members agree on extending the scope to AI, it
would be good to begin right now, with the creation of the new mailing
list, and (of course) set a proper name to it :-D.

Let's be in contact.

Regards,
Pedro

--
Pedro Martinez-Julia
Network Science and Convergence Device Technology Laboratory