[nmrg] smiv2/sppi/sming integration meeting

Juergen Schoenwaelder <schoenw@ibr.cs.tu-bs.de> Mon, 21 August 2000 10:06 UTC

Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 12:06:36 +0200
From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <schoenw@ibr.cs.tu-bs.de>
To: Network Management Research Group <nmrg@ibr.cs.tu-bs.de>
Subject: [nmrg] smiv2/sppi/sming integration meeting
Sender: owner-nmrg@ibr.cs.tu-bs.de

During the IETF meeting in Pittsburgh, many people expressed that it
is valuable to merge SMIv2/SMIng/SPPI into a single next generation
data definition language to be used at least with SNMP and COPS, but
perhaps also with DIAMETER and other protocols which separate data
definitions from the protocol itself. There is also a NIM requirements
document which identifies language features that are considered
important by the "modeling experts".

I got the impression that the time has come to seriously dive into the
details and to find out whether we can come up with a language
proposal which can actually reduce the number of languages in use
within the IETF for defining data models. In order to move forward
quickly, I am organizing a meeting next month to address this
issue. Here are the logistic details as known right now: