[nmrg] My review of: draft-schoenw-sming-lessons-00.txt

"Wijnen, Bert \(Bert\)" <bwijnen@alcatel-lucent.com> Tue, 07 August 2007 14:41 UTC

Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2007 16:40:51 +0200
From: "Wijnen, Bert (Bert)" <bwijnen@alcatel-lucent.com>
To: j.schoenwaelder@jacobs-university.de
Cc: nmrg@ibr.cs.tu-bs.de
Subject: [nmrg] My review of: draft-schoenw-sming-lessons-00.txt

In general, I think this is a quite useful document.
For novice readers (those not directly involved with some
of the SMIng history), it might be helpful if a few
examples are included in various subsections of section 3.

Nits/typos:

- section 1

   started in the late 1999 and concluded with the publication of the

   s/the//
   or s/1999/1990s/
   probably the 1st one.

- section 2

   of SMIv2, the current data modeling language for management
   information bases.  Primarily, its partial dependence on ASN.1 and a

  s/management information bases/the management information base/
  or s/base/base modules/

- sect 2
  you may want to expand acronyms when they are first used (like RAP,
  COPS-PR, SPPI)

- sect 2

  Working Group on COPS-PR and SPPI emerged in 1999/2000, SMIng was
  split into two parts: a core data definition language (defined in
  this document) and protocol mappings to allow the application of core

  (defined in this document) ?? You mean in RFC3780 I guess?
  seems you copied some (or all) if this from RFC3780

- sect 3.2, 4th bullet
      document, it becomes more natural to support course grained atomic

  s/course/coarse/ ?

- sect 3.3, rd bullet
      sharing properties may be implicit in the naming system used in
      once protocol mapping while they must be explicit in other

  s/once/one/ ??

- sect 3.9
   language supports a suitable versioning model and that it established

  s/established/establishes/ ?

   modeling language may be less of an issue since such information can
   often be maintained in revision control systems and automatically
   places into comments where needed.

  s/places/placed/ ?

- sect 3.10
   supports language extensions, it should be possible to gradually
   introduction of new language features.

  s/introduction of/introduce/ ??

- sect 3.11
   Once way to define a new data modeling language is to start from an

  s/Once/One/

>From IDNITS:
 == Unused Reference: 'RFC3084' is defined on line 422, but no explicit
     reference was found in the text

Bert Wijnen