[nmrg] commands on sming snmp mapping document

Juergen Schoenwaelder <j.schoenwaelder@iu-bremen.de> Wed, 02 July 2003 14:01 UTC

Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2003 11:15:44 +0200
From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <j.schoenwaelder@iu-bremen.de>
To: NMRG <nmrg@ibr.cs.tu-bs.de>
Subject: [nmrg] commands on sming snmp mapping document
Sender: nmrg-admin@ibr.cs.tu-bs.de

Here are some comments on <draft-irtf-nmrg-sming-snmp-02.txt>. I will
not list the editorial issues here which I will forward to Frank on
paper but rather focus on the technical issues.

a) There is no section on revising SNMP mapping definitions. Not sure
   why we overlooked that until now.

b) Section 3 discusses data type mappings but misses to discuss the
   Pointer type which we have added back to SMIng. Also, we change
   TimeTicks to TimeTicks32, we have to update this document as well.

c) We should actually cite the SPPI RFC when we refer to the SPPI.

d) The description of the node statement should probably say something
   regarding the Pointer type.

e) The description of zeroDotZero should probably be:

   "A value used as null value for identifiers and pointers."

f) The fact that the scalars' implements statement assigns
   sub-identifier starting at 1 causes problems with existing scalar
   groups that have all sort of numbering gaps. I guess it is needed
   to be able to override it.

g) The scalars and table usage examples miss a semicolon.

h) The NMRG-SMING-SNMP-EXT and the NMRG-SMING-SNMP module header
   should follow the guidelines and contain a copyright plus a
   reference to the NMRG with contact information and such. (This may
   also apply to other SMIng modules.)

i) I suggest to remove the ;; EOF comment in the abnf statement of the
   NMRG-SMING-SNMP module.

j) In the same module, I suggest to remove the stuff about agentcaps
   since we never really got to this.

k) Perhaps the NMRG-SMING-SNMP-EXT module should be renamed to
   NMRG-SMING-EXT-SNMP so that all SMIng language extension are
   grouped together and to reduce confusion by module authors (at
   least I got sometimes confused).

l) The References section must be split. I suggest to have normative
   references [SMIng] and [RFC2119] and to make all other references
   informative.

m) The RFC number in reference [RFC3416] is wrong.

n) I think appendix A is the same as the abnf statement in one of the
   SMIng modules and can be removed.

/js
--
Juergen Schoenwaelder		    International University Bremen
<http://www.eecs.iu-bremen.de/>	    P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen, Germany