RE: [NSIS] About GIMPS!

"Hancock, Robert" <robert.hancock@roke.co.uk> Wed, 07 April 2004 11:15 UTC

From: "Hancock, Robert" <robert.hancock@roke.co.uk>
To: 'Cheng Hong' <hcheng@psl.com.sg>, 'Tschofenig Hannes' <hannes.tschofenig@siemens.com>, 'Elena Scialpi' <scel@inwind.it>, 'nsis' <nsis@ietf.org>
Subject: RE: [NSIS] About GIMPS!
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2004 09:48:31 +0100
Sender: nsis-admin@ietf.org

dear all,

if people want to see the reasoning which went into the current
framework split, it is still written down in
http://www.watersprings.org/pub/id/draft-hancock-nsis-sender-receiver-00.txt

the essential points are:
a) does a protocol have any asymmetry in operation (i.e. client/server,
initiator/responder, whatever)
b) if so, does that asymmetry have any coupling to the direction of
the data flow

the argument of the above i-d (reflected in the framework and the
subsequent protocol designs) is that these questions have to be
considered independently for the NTLP (GIMPS) and NSLPs (signalling
applications).

Specifically for GIMPS, there is asymmetry in the discovery phase,
because only the upstream node can initiate the process (that's a
consequence of IP routing) as Cheng says below. (Whether you want
to call this sender or receiver initiated is just a terminology
issue.) If we can think of ways to make discovery possible in both
directions, we might incorporate them. However, once the message
routing state is set up, GIMPS tries as hard as possible to hide
this asymmetry from the signalling applications. They can make their
own decisions about whether aspects of their protocol should be
directional and whether to tie that to data flow direction.

What is definitely the case is that GIMPS punts on what initiates the
discovery process in the first place. This is a trigger from the
OS or a particular signalling application, or network management,
or whatever. Signalling application developers need to say what
kicks off this part of the process.

Does this answer the question?

r.