Re: [NSIS] QSPEC Questions

"Hannes Tschofenig" <Hannes.Tschofenig@gmx.net> Sat, 08 November 2008 15:28 UTC

From: Hannes Tschofenig <Hannes.Tschofenig@gmx.net>
To: 'Elwyn Davies' <elwynd@dial.pipex.com>
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2008 17:27:49 +0200
Cc: nsis@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [NSIS] QSPEC Questions
Sender: nsis-bounces@ietf.org

Hi Elwyn,

Thanks for your feedback.

I wonder how I was able to have missed that description.

>> * Where does the description for <Path Jitter>, <Path PLR> and <Path
>> PER> come from? There is no reference to another RFC given
>in these sections.
>>
>> * Why is Path Jitter STAT4(Reserved) included in the <Path Jitter>
>> parameter?
>>
>> * The encoding of the  <RPH Priority> Parameter is not inline with
>> http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-tsvwg-emergency-rsvp-09.txt. The
>> ALRP Priority and the Reserved octets positions are inversed.
>>
>> * <DSTE Class Type> Parameter
>>
>> The QSPEC draft says:
>> "
>>  DSTE Class Type: Indicates the DSTE class type.  Values currently
>>    allowed are 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7.
>> "
>>
>> RFC 4124 does not define a value of 0. Where does 0 come from?
>> In RFC 4124 the field is only 3 bits long. Why is it 8 bytes long in
>> the QSPEC document?
>>
>Technically 0 is reserved in RFC4124.   This  probably ought to be
>reproduced in the Qspec and DIME docs.
>I take it you meant 8 bits long.  Actually, the CLASSTYPE is 32 bits in
>RFC4124 with 29 bits reserved.
>In practice it seems unlikely any extra classes will be
>defined so the different definitions are unlikely to cause
>issues, but given that each TLV has 32 bits it might have been
>sensible to match the RFC4124 definition.

I have changed the description in the DIME document to use the RFC 4124
CLASSTYPE as is.

>I note that RFC 4124 does not offer an IANA registry for DSTE values:
>But the Qspec and DIME docs generate two separate registries.
>Since the meanings are supposed to be common this doesn't make
>a lot of sense.
>This may apply to other Qspec and DIME registries.

I removed the registry for the  DSTE Class Types from the DIME document.
When someone registers new values then they have to think about the
definition of registering a new QoS parameter, if necessary.
Since these QoS parameters aren't registered too frequently I don't expect
too many actions.

Ciao
Hannes