[NSIS] RE: Independence of signalling and data path (was RE: [NSIS] Two kindsof requirements)

Marcus Brunner <brunner@ccrle.nec.de> Tue, 29 January 2002 10:34 UTC

Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 11:36:05 +0100
From: Marcus Brunner <brunner@ccrle.nec.de>
To: "Georgios Karagiannis (ELN)" <Georgios.Karagiannis@eln.ericsson.se>
Cc: nsis@ietf.org
Subject: [NSIS] RE: Independence of signalling and data path (was RE: [NSIS] Two kindsof requirements)
Sender: nsis-admin@ietf.org

Georgios,

see inline

--On Monday, January 28, 2002 2:45 PM +0100 "Georgios Karagiannis (ELN)"
<Georgios.Karagiannis@eln.ericsson.se> wrote:

> Hi Marcus
>

> [MB]>> So, I think you much in line with that req. The protocol
> [MB]>> from host to BB does not depend on the data path
> [MB}>> completly. What the constrain for the
> [MB]>> communication are is a different question.
>
> I will repeat what was already said in my previous e-mail:
>
> This is only true when the following CONSIDEARTIONS are
> fulfilled:
>
> * BB's or QoS controllers are used;

-> QoS controllers are no BBs in our understanding, the hop by hop
signalling is a special case, where each hop has a QoS controller and QoS
initiator functionality runing.

> * the end-host should know the address of the first hop Bandwidth Broker;

An end-host needs to know quite a bit of servers/nodes anyway. I even think
there are solutions (e.g. AAA servers), where the first hop router is
forwarding the signalling messages to the right place.

> * the BBs should be aware (know) the addresses of neighboring BBs;

Sure, you need interdoamin routing anyway.

> * BB's or QoS controllers should be able to relate
>    the QoS signaling to the data path;

yes true, I think this is the core functionality of a signalling protocol.
Only depends on the information available in the signaling message.

>  In GENERAL the above CONSIDERATIONS are very difficult to
>  fulfill. Please note that we need a NSIS protocol that can
>  be applied for GENERAL cases. Of course YOUR
>  SCENARIO, but OTHER TYPES as well will be INCLUDED.

IMO, with the QoS initator and QoS controller framework we excaclty target
a more general case then the hop-by-hop signalling.

> Thus, in GENERAL the path followed by signaling
> messages and the path followed by user data packets (associated
> to these signaling messages) MUST BE THE SAME!!

No, I do not agree.

> Solution on how signaling messages and user data
> packets can follow the same path:
> The signaling messages will
> follow the same path as the user data packets when for example,
> the IP destination address of the signaling messages is the same
> as the IP destination address of the user data packets.

Not necessarly (but normally packet with the same destination likely take
the same path)

> Typical IP routing protocols will route both signaling messages
> and user data packets that have the same IP destination address through
> the same path. RSVPv1 uses something similar (on the PATH messages
> and user data packets having the same flow ID);
>
> [MB]>> And whether, the
> [MB]>> protocol work
> [MB]>> between ehost, eedge, ehop, all of them can be controllers
> [MB]>> and initiators
> [MB] on the other side. So they do not require data and signalling
> [MB] on the same path.
>
> What do you mean, would you like to have a NSIS protocol version
> that starts at one hop router and terminates at the next first hop router.
> This protocol will be very slow, very complex, and in my opinion
> not useful!

You have to be more specific on slow and complex.
If you mean with slow the signalling delay (I think you are better of not
performing some actions in each hop)

The complextity in terms CPU heavily depends on the complexity of the state
machine, which defionitly not defined yet. But you are definitly right,
that it needs to be simple.

Marcus