Re: [NSIS] Proposed draft "Mobility Support in NSIS"

Xiaoming Fu <fu@cs.uni-goettingen.de> Mon, 07 July 2003 08:22 UTC

Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2003 10:22:05 +0200
From: Xiaoming Fu <fu@cs.uni-goettingen.de>
To: "Charles Q. Shen" <charles@ee.columbia.edu>, nsis@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [NSIS] Proposed draft "Mobility Support in NSIS"
Sender: nsis-admin@ietf.org

Hi,

Thanks for your insightful comments. My comments inline:

Charles Q. Shen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think having such a draft discussing mobility issues with NSIS is
> helpful and inline with the WG charter. I started a similar effort in an
> earlier draft last July
> http://www.ee.columbia.edu/~charles/publication/draft-shen-nsis-mobility-fw-00.txt.

I read this draft and found it helpful. For example, your draft
identified the necessity to soft-state refresh even for the _intact
path_ (I find this term looks more appealing than _common path_ :))
before and after a handoff happens. This has also been summarized in
issue 3 and section 4.1 in our draft.

> Fu's draft incorporated some recent issues including NSLP/NTLP
> interaction, Discovery, peer-to-peer addressing etc. It would be good to
> elaborate those parts when they become clearer in the WG discussion.

Yes, to my understanding a concrete conclusion has not been drawn so far
on whether end-to-end or peer-peer addressing will be used in NTLP.
That's why the draft discusses both peer-peer and e2e addressing issues
there, in align with framework draft. It is also my belief that with the
further development of framework/protocol work, discovery and NSLP/NTLP
issues would be clearer and we'll be able to look into these issues in
depth.

> Disscussion of tunneling/non-optimized routing is also useful, but it
> would be beneficial to refer to RFC2746 which provides a very good
> example of solving tunneling issues in the case of RSVP.

You're right! This is related to the addressing mode of NTLP messages. I
think RFC2746 scheme would probably be most useful for at least e2e
addressing approaches such as RSVP. For peer-peer addressing, it looks
to me discovery component would help to identify next peer and IP-in-IP
tunneled signaling message can be avoided, as long as the MIP tunnel
endpoints support NTLP.

> Some issues may also be grouped together. Basically there are cases of
> sender mobility and receiver mobility (The protocol itself could be
> either sender initiated or receiver initated). Handoff causes
> appropriate signaling actions in three segments of the network: the
> intact path, the new path and the obsoleted path. (This applies to both
> optimized/non-optimized routing, and possibly involves tunneling.)

Thanks for your suggestions, such restructuring looks fine to me.

> The handoff process would further impact subsequent regular soft-state
> refresh which has to be considered.
Regarding the two types of soft-state timers: the mobility management
timer (let's assume "only" one mobility management, or minimal value of
timers of all mobility management schemes) and the NSIS timer (let's
assume NTLP would do some basic state management), there are a few open
issues (have not explored in our draft yet):

- Shall we use a smaller value for NSIS timer than mobility management
timer? my conjecture would be "yes", to ensure NSIS signaling actually
reflect mobility signaling.

- How can we know this comparision at all? This could be through an API,
or, say, a mobility routing interface issue. If this knowledge is
unaware to NSIS at all, a simplest way presumably can be NSIS signlaing
directly after each moibility management.

Cheers,
Xiaoming