RE: [NSIS] layer split summary? opinions?

"Hancock, Robert" <robert.hancock@roke.co.uk> Thu, 30 January 2003 22:49 UTC

From: "Hancock, Robert" <robert.hancock@roke.co.uk>
To: "Georgios Karagiannis (ELN)" <Georgios.Karagiannis@eln.ericsson.se>, 'Henning Schulzrinne' <hgs@cs.columbia.edu>
Cc: nsis@ietf.org
Subject: RE: [NSIS] layer split summary? opinions?
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 22:47:53 -0000
Sender: nsis-admin@ietf.org

dear all,

some points on terminology and trying to clarify exactly what question is being discussed:

1. The framework describes 'the NSIS transport layer' as *everything* below the signalling application layer and above the IP layer (e.g. figs 2/3). What we (or at least, I) am trying to discover is what functionality should be in this layer, *however* it is structured internally.

2. suggesting that a 'simple' basic NTLP sublayer of some sort could be run over TCP (or SCTP) is a very interesting design constraint for that sublayer. (In the purest form, where the sublayer operates entirely over one or more TCP connections, I suspect it is an engineering impossibility, mainly for addressing/peer discovery reasons. This is one reason why the framework document does not draw such a strict layered picture.) But it's a question about designing the NTLP, *not* what functionality it should encapsulate. (Shameless plug: We have tried to list some of the issues about this and other possible approaches in http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-mcdonald-nsis-ntlp-considerations-00.txt.)

3. *Whatever* of these approaches is taken, it doesn't affect the apparent consensus that an NSLP should be able to call on some combination of lower layers (whatever you call them) which provide these classic transport-like functions. (What I get from Georgios is that he'd like them to be somehow optional to use. But I'll write a separate mail on that.)

I'd like to proceed on the basis that the assumption in (3) is correct.

Cheers,

Robert H.