[NSIS] Mobility Implementation Question

Max Laier <max.laier@tm.uka.de> Wed, 12 December 2007 19:28 UTC

From: Max Laier <max.laier@tm.uka.de>
To: nsis <nsis@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 20:28:35 +0100
Subject: [NSIS] Mobility Implementation Question

Hi,

we are currently pondering about how to best implement mobility aware
QoS-signaling.

One of the first stumbling block I hit so far is that the mobility draft
suggests that all signaling for the route-optimized case should be done
using the CoA as the source/destination of the flow.  i.e. signaling is
done for the actual flow rather than for the logical one.  This certainly
makes sense, but any potential application that uses e.g. QoS-NSLP as a
service will ask for a reservation for the *logical* flow as it is
anaware of MobileIP (and should be).  So the questions becomes where
should the translation from logical to actual flow take place.

I believe that mobility management should be taken care of within the NTLP
layer as the NSLP should not have to be concerned with the actual message
routing.  Currently I have two possible sollutions to the problem which
I'd like to hear feedback about:

1) Extend the GIST-to-NSLP API with a type of NetworkNotification that is
able to convey Address-Binding-Information and let the NSLP figure out if
this information is relevant to any of it's sessions.

2) Use a similar approach as the MRITS described in [1].  This would take
place in the MN / CN respectively and translate the MRI according to the
BindingCache (and/or the routing header).

I feel that the second option might be easier to implement and could help
to reduce the amount of duplication. i.e. this way only the NTLP has to
interact with the mobility layer and the NSLP can be mostly oblivious of
the fact that it is in fact mobile.  The NTLP would obviously still have
to send some kind of trigger in case of a BindingUpdate, but that could
be a normal NetworkNotification for the HoA.

Any comments greatly appreciated.

P.S. How does the QoS-NSLP translate the packet classifier in a GaNAT
environment.  I'm not completely through the nattraversal-darf, yet and
would appreciate any pointers.

[1]http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-pashalidis-nsis-gimps-nattraversal-05#section-5.3