RE: [NSIS] Re: IESG Review of draft-ietf-nsis-req-08.txt - Commen ts 1

"Hancock, Robert" <robert.hancock@roke.co.uk> Thu, 24 July 2003 15:18 UTC

From: "Hancock, Robert" <robert.hancock@roke.co.uk>
To: 'Marcus Brunner' <brunner@ccrle.nec.de>, mankin@psg.com, harald@alvestrand.no
Cc: john.loughney@nokia.com, nsis@ietf.org
Subject: RE: [NSIS] Re: IESG Review of draft-ietf-nsis-req-08.txt - Commen ts 1
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 16:16:02 +0100
Sender: nsis-admin@ietf.org

hi,

These aren't easy.

My view is that the two 'parts of the network' paragraphs (the one
Harald quotes and the one before it) could be safely removed.

The general point about being able to adapt to deployment conditions
is made at the very start of section 5; the rest of the document uses
the terms 'access' and 'core' in an informal (and probably self-explanatory)
way, and I don't see a need for a stricter definition. (Indeed, IIRC
Marcus made this point of deliberate vagueness very explicit when
this 'parts of the network' issue came up in the Minneapolis WG meeting.)

(We could add a comment in the middle of the 2nd paragraph of section 5
that: We use the terms 'access' and 'core' informally in the discussion
of some particular requirements to refer to deployment conditions where
particular protocol attributes, especially performance characteristics,
have special importance. Or something like that.)

How to handle the scaling concern seems much harder. Part of the
problem is that the signalling protocols have to be capable of per-
microflow operation, and if network managers insist on trying to
[ab]use them that way in the network core, there isn't much we can do
about it. In general, achieving most of what Harald refers to is a
matter of using a scalable resource management architecture, and
scalable protocol behaviour will largely follow from that. But the
resource management problem is out of scope for us anyway. In other
words, the requirement he suggests cannot be satisfied by NSIS, but
only by NSIS protocols supporting appropriate operational mechanisms
(which we don't know all of in the first place, in fact).

I can suggest 2 things:
a) Add some text to 5.5.1 to say something like 'In order to be useful
even in an environment where the use of signalling by hosts becomes
universal, NSIS protocols must allow for use at a level above
that of individual end-to-end flows (ref. 5.2.4 and 5.6.1).'
b) Reinforce a little bit 5.5.4 to say that performance should
degrade gracefully rather than catastrophically under overload
conditions. (Which is actually something we are worrying about
at the moment anyway.)

Maybe these are over-specific or over-detailed.

cheers,

robert h.