Re: SNTP implementation recommendations (was "Re: [ntpwg] SNTP clients")

mayer@gis.net Thu, 28 April 2005 17:06 UTC

Sender: mayer@gis.net
From: mayer@gis.net
To: plonka@doit.wisc.edu, ntpwg@lists.ntp.isc.org
Subject: Re: SNTP implementation recommendations (was "Re: [ntpwg] SNTP clients")
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 13:05:58 -0400

Probably the most important thing to include is that KOD packets need
to be obeyed. In IETF terms this is a MUST. There are far to many
NTP/SNTP clients that do not know or care about KOD packets and
continue to make requests are they are told to go away.

In addition there are clients that will continuously send requests
as frequently as 1 second apart and will ignore that fact that the
servers are dropping their packets or telling it to go away, see above.
The CSIRO incident a year or so ago points out that when CSIRO changed
their NTP server address, not only did the traffic not go away, the
traffic actually increased as clients became even more insistent in
getting their time from a non-existent server.

SNTP clients, in short, need to be good net citizens and understand
both responses and lack of responses. This goes for ntp servers too.

Danny
----- Original Message Follows -----

http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/database/rfc/draft-mills-sntp-v4-00.txt