Re: [Ntp] Objections to the current language in draft-ietf-data-minimization

kristof.teichel@ptb.de Tue, 26 March 2019 11:58 UTC

To: ntp@ietf.org
Cc: Harlan Stenn <stenn@nwtime.org>, Watson Ladd <watsonbladd@gmail.com>, Dieter Sibold <dsibold.ietf@gmail.com>
From: kristof.teichel@ptb.de
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2019 12:58:41 +0100
Subject: Re: [Ntp] Objections to the current language in draft-ietf-data-minimization

Hello all,

I support Dieter's viewpoint that most of Harlan's original points can be
read as arguments against leap smearing rather than arguments against data
minimization (or the way it is handled in the current Data Minimization
draft).
Honestly, I would go one step further and add that the whole discussion
point is an argument for the case that the decision to use UTC over TAI in
the first place was a mistake and should be reconsidered as soon as
possible (which might not be soon at all).

That digression aside, the decision that was put forward was that of the
document using either "SHOULD" or "MAY" for certain normative clauses.
First off, I'm a bit unclear about the significance of this decision (as
in, who would be affected): wouldn't the same implementation be the same
degree of conformant to a given document if all occurances of SHOULD were
replaced by MAY and/or vice versa?
That said, it is my belief that given the rather hard-to-measure
difference as outlined in RFC 2119, SHOULD is better suited than MAY a
collection of suggestions
- whose advantages include making things conformant to current data
protection regulations and preventing security goals of a crypto add-on
from being unobtainable in the first place due to quirks of the underlying
protectee protocol
- whose main (argued) disadvantage is that it reduces the convenience with
which a potentially system-disrupting hack can be executed

Best regards,
Kristof