Re: [ntpwg] IPv6 Router Advertisement Option for NTP Configuration

Tony Li <tony.li@tony.li> Wed, 16 June 2010 19:15 UTC

From: Tony Li <tony.li@tony.li>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 12:13:09 -0700
To: mayer@ntp.org
Cc: NTP Working Group <ntpwg@lists.ntp.org>, zhangdacheng@huawei.com, Ralph Droms <rdroms@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [ntpwg] IPv6 Router Advertisement Option for NTP Configuration
Sender: ntpwg-bounces+ntp-archives-ahfae6za=lists.ietf.org@lists.ntp.org

Hi Danny,

> You managed to drop the principal author which I made sure to include in

Whoops, apologies!

> Certainly it's very vague! I cannot even tell how many of the IPv6
> addresses are going to be sent.

Well, nothing is certain without specifics, but given the references to DHCPv6, I'm assuming that they will mirror what's done in DHCP.  That would allow multiple addresses or names.

You might check out that document: draft-ietf-ntp-dhcpv6-ntp-opt-06.txt

> I have not read the document in full details but I am concerned that it
> appears that only one IPv6 address will be sent. Since NTP depends on
> multiple sources to improve accuracy and reliability sending just one is
> not sufficient. If this is likely to be a site-local address it would be
> better to have the NTP server set up as a broadcast server and multicast
> to FF05::101 for clients to pick up. The only thing that the routers
> then need to do is forward those packets on the network.
>
> Even better would be for the admin to set up an ntppool label in their
> local domain DNS which would point to a list of AAAA addresses or just
> CNAME to the pool.ntp.org domains. The reference implementation uses the
> pool option to allow it to set up up to 10 associations from all of
> those addresses as servers for it.

It seems like the approach that is taken for DHCP would suffice for this.

> Furthermore it is not clear why one would do it at the router in the
> first place and who would be maintain the address and where and what
> happens when that NTP server is replaced by a different one and who
> would notice.

There are those who feel that DHCP isn't the architecturally clean way of providing host configuration and that it should instead be done by ND.  While I have no wish to re-open that particular hornet's nest here, I suspect that the author's intention is simply to replicate the DHCP NTP configuration capabilities within ND.

Regards,
Tony