[ntpwg] Forward of NTS discussion #2

dieter.sibold@ptb.de Mon, 10 March 2014 15:29 UTC

To: NTP Working Group <ntpwg@lists.ntp.org>
From: dieter.sibold@ptb.de
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2014 16:28:53 +0100
Subject: [ntpwg] Forward of NTS discussion #2
Sender: ntpwg-bounces+ntp-archives-ahfae6za=lists.ietf.org@lists.ntp.org

Hi all,

enclosed you will find further follow-ups on the NTS discussion.

----------------------------------
Physikalisch-Technische Bundesanstalt
Dr. Dieter Sibold
Q.42 - Serversysteme und Datenhaltung
QM-Verantwortlicher der Stelle IT-Infrastruktur
Bundesallee 100
D-38116 Braunschweig
Tel: +49-531-592-84 20
E-Mail: dieter.sibold@ptb.de
----- Weitergeleitet von Dieter Sibold/PTB am 10.03.2014 16:27 -----

Von:	Stephen Röttger <stephen.roettger@gmail.com>
An:	"Steven M. Bellovin" <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
Kopie:	Dieter Sibold <dieter.sibold@ptb.de>, Harlan Stenn
            <stenn@nwtime.org>, "kristof.teichel" <kristof.teichel@ptb.de>
Datum:	05.03.2014 21:51
Betreff:	Re: IETF draft

The key is used in the interval before its disclosure.
In time interval t, the clients will receive a packet with a MAC calculated
with a still unknown key k.
The clients will buffer this packet in order to verify it later.
In t+1, the key for t will be made public and the clients can verify the
MAC for the buffered packet.

Also, since the keys are calculated as a one-way function chain, e.g. k_i =
H(k_{i+1}), the client can verify to which time interval the disclosed key
belongs and that it wasn't disclosed yet when the packet was received.

On Wed, Mar 5, 2014 at 9:44 PM, Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
wrote:
      Then what is the point of the key?

      On Mar 5, 2014, at 3:42 PM, Stephen Röttger <
      stephen.roettger@gmail.com> wrote:

      > But the client will know that the key was already disclosed without
      receiving any packets from the server.
      > This is due to the loose time synchronization and the fixed
      disclosing intervals.

      > On Wed, Mar 5, 2014 at 9:38 PM, Steven M. Bellovin <
      smb@cs.columbia.edu> wrote:

      > > There is a slightly-convoluted attack scenario against the
      broadcast
      > > mode.  Assume a tree of switches, where the attacker is attached
      > > to some switch that is on-path to the victim.  The attacker DOSes
      > > the link towards the victim, waits for the next broadcast time
      > > message (with the accompanying key disclosure), then lifts the
      DOS
      > > and sends a bogus time message authenticated with that key to the
      > > victim.
      > >
      > > I don't see how this attack scenario will work. The client will
      not accept any broadcast messages he receives, if the corresponding
      key has already been disclosed. He can verify that since he is
      loosely time synchronized to the server, i.e. the maximum time
      difference is bounded.

      > That’s the point of the DoS attack — it keeps the client from
      receiving the broadcast with that key.

----- Weitergeleitet von Dieter Sibold/PTB am 10.03.2014 16:27 -----

OK, let me think about that.  I was reading quickly so I could get the
message out before boarding my flight....

You can think about other scenarios along those lines.

<smb@cs.columbia.edu> wrote:

> > > There is a slightly-convoluted attack scenario against the broadcast
> > > mode.  Assume a tree of switches, where the attacker is attached
> > > to some switch that is on-path to the victim.  The attacker DOSes
> > > the link towards the victim, waits for the next broadcast time
> > > message (with the accompanying key disclosure), then lifts the DOS
> > > and sends a bogus time message authenticated with that key to the
> > > victim.
> > >
> > > I don't see how this attack scenario will work. The client will not
accept any broadcast messages he receives, if the corresponding key has
already been disclosed. He can verify that since he is loosely time
synchronized to the server, i.e. the maximum time difference is bounded.

> > That’s the point of the DoS attack — it keeps the client from receiving
the broadcast with that key.

----- Weitergeleitet von Dieter Sibold/PTB am 10.03.2014 16:27 -----

Von:	Harlan Stenn <stenn@ntp.org>
An:	dieter.sibold@ptb.de
Kopie:	"Steven M. Bellovin" <smb@cs.columbia.edu>, Stephen
            <stephen.roettger@gmail.com>, kristof.teichel@ptb.de, "Harlan
            Stenn" <stenn@nwtime.org>, "Harlan Stenn" <stenn@ntp.org>
Datum:	06.03.2014 12:15
Betreff:	Re: IETF draft

move the discussion there I'm fine posting an announcement on hackers@
to let folks know where the discussion is being held.

I'm about to fall asleep, so if there is more for me to do I can do it
in about 8 hours' time.

----- Weitergeleitet von Dieter Sibold/PTB am 10.03.2014 16:27 -----

Von:	Kristof Teichel/PTB
An:	Dieter Sibold/PTB@PTB
Kopie:	"Steven M. Bellovin" <smb@cs.columbia.edu>, "Harlan Stenn"
            <stenn@ntp.org>, "Harlan Stenn" <stenn@nwtime.org>, Stephen
            <stephen.roettger@gmail.com>
Datum:	06.03.2014 12:26
Betreff:	Re: IETF draft

Hi all,

including the mailing list would be okay with me.

Greetings