[Ntp] Antw: I-D Action: draft-stenn-ntp-suggest-refid-04.txt

"Ulrich Windl" <Ulrich.Windl@rz.uni-regensburg.de> Mon, 22 October 2018 06:24 UTC

Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2018 08:24:10 +0200
From: Ulrich Windl <Ulrich.Windl@rz.uni-regensburg.de>
To: i-d-announce@ietf.org
Cc: "ntp@ietf.org" <ntp@ietf.org>
Subject: [Ntp] Antw: I-D Action: draft-stenn-ntp-suggest-refid-04.txt

I think the abstract is too long and contains unnecessary details.
What about a shorter version like this?:
   NTP has been widely used through several revisions, with the latest
   being RFC 5905 [RFC5905].  A core component of the protocol and the
   algorithms is the Reference ID, or REFID, which is used to identify
   the source of time used for synchronization.  Traditionally, when the
   source of time was another system the REFID was the IPv4 address of
   that other system.  The core purpose of the REFID is to prevent a
   one-degree timing loop.  The REFID being part of the base NTP packet
   is considered to be "public data".
   The traditional REFID being derived directly from an IPv4 address needs
   to apply for IPv6 addresses as well.  This proposal is a backward-
   compatible way for a time source to produce a REFID from which the IP
   address of the time source should not be derivable.

I wonder whether a capitalized SHOULD should be used in the abstract, BTW.

Regards,
Ulrich
P.S: Haven't read the complete text yet.