Re: [Ntp] Protocol and Security Enhancements for the Network Time Protocol (NTP)

David Mills <Mills@Udel.edu> Sat, 08 May 2021 19:48 UTC

To: Miroslav Lichvar <mlichvar@redhat.com>
Cc: NTP WG <ntp@ietf.org>
From: David Mills <Mills@Udel.edu>
Date: Sat, 08 May 2021 15:48:22 -0400
Subject: Re: [Ntp] Protocol and Security Enhancements for the Network Time Protocol (NTP)

Folks,

Thanks to Miroslav and friends who offered advice and comfort on the
memo i proposed to the working group. The intended mission of the memo
is to explore and evaluate new designs that improve accuracy and
security without affecting the core algorithms of the reference
implementation.

Note that the current version of the memo has evolved considerably since
the first draft some months ago. The text is more crisp and the
reasoning is more focussed. Happily, the more obnoxious critters such as
the evil genie and shark packets have been expunged.

The onwire protocol is the most important design to take away from the
memo.  It runs continuously and independenly of security provisions.  It
is compatible with the current version 4 reference implementation.

The interleave protocol is supported in all NTP modes, including
symmetric, client/server and broadcast modes. Note that a full
complement of interleave devstamps requires two player rounds.

An important issue raised by Miroslav is the broadcast interleave
protocol. That exposed vulnerabilities to old duplicate and lost
packets. The revised protocol does not use comparisons of old and new
timestamps, but uses static comparisons between packet and state variables.

The huff 'n puff filter has been redesigned. Again. This is a work in
progress. As usual, the stumbling issue is how to set the congestion and
skew thresholds in various traffic regimes.

Startup and recovery procedures have been revisited. The intent is to
have a progression from an unsecured state through private key
cryptography to public key cryptography security with the same onwire
protocol.

Management and key refreshment procedures can be controlled with out
operator involvement. This avoids the hassle with untrained operators
not comfortable with key refreshment procedures.

The DDoS defences are improved against brutal attacs with large numbers
of offenders operating at punishing rates. An evil blast with thousands
of source addresses is reduced, but not always eliminated.

The section on leap seconds has been revised according to the
professional astronemers. Activists will be disappointed that the smear
option is not available in the operating system design. The option can
be available in the system library.

The crypto-Nak and agreement exchange packets are protected by the
onwire protocol and loopback test and the three-way handshake. The
crypto-NAK packets are sent by a previously working player, so the
receiver can verify the message. The agreement exchange may be
vulnerable to ornery intruders. This is complicated by the need to
recover from arbitrary attacks without a working key.

A 64-bit nonce can be used to replace the transmit sofstamp in a client
packet.  This apparently makes it harder for a wiretapper to learn the
position of a mobile client.

A lesson learned from previous NTP versions is the need to verify
correct protocol behavior using simulation techniques described in NTP
white papers on the NTP research project page.  The simulations explore
protocol behavior under various error conditions. This has been done
with several protocol designs, including EGP and NTP. This is an
important topic for future projects with the protocols described in this
memo.

Dave
https://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/Autokey3.txt