Re: [nvo3] Comments on draft-kompella-nvo3-server2nve

"NAPIERALA, MARIA H" <mn1921@att.com> Tue, 17 July 2012 16:07 UTC

From: "NAPIERALA, MARIA H" <mn1921@att.com>
To: "nvo3@ietf.org" <nvo3@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 16:07:26 +0000
x-originating-ip: [135.70.230.42]
Subject: Re: [nvo3] Comments on draft-kompella-nvo3-server2nve

I also have a similar fundamental issue with this document.  The document seems to be dictating provisioning process for a VM. What service/cloud computing providers need are the building blocks, i.e. standard APIs and protocols to create and manage virtual networks in cloud computing environment. Most of those APIs already exist (e.g., OpenStack REST API, IF-MAP API, etc.). How to put the solution blocks together will be individually decided by the providers. There already exist OpenStack Tenant/Project and Quantum Project that allow creation and management of Virtual Networks. There are many available Quantum plugins. Actually, such models are proven to scale and have been already used by many large cloud computing providers. As Robert said, let's not "reinvent the wheel".

Besides this fundamental issue (which, in fact, makes any other comments less relevant) I would like to point out the following:

Section 1.
   "This document focuses on the case where the network elements in Step
   4 are not co-resident with the server, and shows how the provisioning
   in Step 4 can be replaced by signaling between server and network,"

Allowing network elements to signal provisioning information directly to each other is not a secure approach, especially if one of those elements is carrying guest workloads. It is especially insecure if the signaling protocol used cannot be authenticated. It is much more secure to delegate such coordination to a management system. Hence, devoting entire draft to this single, narrow issue, which for majority, especially large Service or Cloud Providers would be irrelevant, seems to miss the mark.
It is much more relevant to address the case where NVE is in the end-system and to address the signaling used between the end-system and its controller.

Section 2.3
   "There are several options for protocols to use to signal the above
   messages.  One could invent a new protocol for this purpose.  One
   could reuse existing protocols, among them LLDP, XMPP, HTTP REST, and
   VDP [VDP], a new protocol standardized for the purposes of signaling
   a VM's network parameters from server to lNVE"

I don't think that these protocols should be listed as "equal". There are major differences between them from security, extensibility, and applicability point of view.

Section 3
    "DCVPNs may be realized using BGP-based VPNs, for example, BGP/MPLS
     "VPNs ([RFC4364]),"

This approach is addressed in draft-fang-vpn4dc-problem-statement-01.