Re: [nwcrg] Fwd: Re: [irsg] IRSG review request draft-irtf-nwcrg-tetrys-03

Jonathan Detchart <jonathan.detchart@isae-supaero.fr> Thu, 17 November 2022 09:05 UTC

Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2022 10:04:59 +0100
To: Marie-Jose Montpetit <marie@mjmontpetit.com>, Dirk Kutscher <ietf@dkutscher.net>
Cc: Colin Perkins <csp@csperkins.org>, nwcrg <nwcrg@irtf.org>
From: Jonathan Detchart <jonathan.detchart@isae-supaero.fr>
Subject: Re: [nwcrg] Fwd: Re: [irsg] IRSG review request draft-irtf-nwcrg-tetrys-03

Dear all,

First, thank you very much Dirk, for your review. We integrated all your
editorial comments.

About your technical comments:

1. relation to and expectations from transport protocols:

As said in this draft, the objective of this document is to describe the
baseline of the Tetrys protocol, allowing communications between a
Tetrys encoder and a Tetrys decoder. Tetrys is thus an AL-FEC-like
protocol and the draft is limited to this description.
The 6th section is an attempt to discuss research issues as this draft
comes from an IRTF working group. This section is not to consider as a
part of the protocol implementation detail. This section is dedicated to
discuss research issue when Tetrys is deployed either as a standalone
protocol or within an existing protocol, and either above, within or
below the transport layer. There are different research questions
related to each of these scenarios that should be investigated for
future protocol improvements that are detailed in this section.

Of course, open to discuss about that.

2. security considerations :

We completely rewrote the Security Considerations part to be more
explicit about threats and expectations on secure transport.

All changes can be found in the new version of the draft :
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-irtf-nwcrg-tetrys-04

Jonathan DETCHART