[OAUTH-WG] Adam Roach's Discuss on draft-ietf-oauth-device-flow-12: (with DISCUSS)

Adam Roach <adam@nostrum.com> Thu, 02 August 2018 00:43 UTC

From: Adam Roach <adam@nostrum.com>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-oauth-device-flow@ietf.org, Rifaat Shekh-Yusef <rifaat.ietf@gmail.com>, oauth-chairs@ietf.org, rifaat.ietf@gmail.com, oauth@ietf.org
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2018 17:43:16 -0700
Subject: [OAUTH-WG] Adam Roach's Discuss on draft-ietf-oauth-device-flow-12: (with DISCUSS)

Adam Roach has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-oauth-device-flow-12: Discuss

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-oauth-device-flow/

DISCUSS:

Thanks to the authors for addressing my comments and half of my DISCUSS.
This final issue appears to remain unaddressed:

§3.1:

>  The client initiates the flow by requesting a set of verification
>  codes from the authorization server by making an HTTP "POST" request
>  to the device authorization endpoint.  The client constructs the
>  request with the following parameters, encoded with the "application/
>  x-www-form-urlencoded" content type:

This document needs a normative citation for this media type.

My suggestion would be to cite REC-html5-20141028 section 4.10.22.6, as this
appears to be the most recent stable description of how to encode this media
type. I'd love to hear rationale behind other citations being more appropriate,
since I'm not entirely happy with the one I suggest above (given that it's been
superseded by HTML 5.2); but every other plausible citation I can find is even
less palatable (with HTML 5.2 itself having the drawback of not actually
defining how to encode the media type, instead pointing to an unstable,
unversioned document).