Re: [OAUTH-WG] SAML 2.0 Bearer Assertion Profile for OAuth 2.0 draft

Torsten Lodderstedt <torsten@lodderstedt.net> Sun, 18 July 2010 15:48 UTC

Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2010 17:48:50 +0200
From: Torsten Lodderstedt <torsten@lodderstedt.net>
To: Brian Campbell <bcampbell@pingidentity.com>
Cc: oauth <oauth@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [OAUTH-WG] SAML 2.0 Bearer Assertion Profile for OAuth 2.0 draft

Hi Brian,

thank you for taking the effort to write this I-D.

I have the following remarks:

Why do you prescribe to include the token endpoint URL into the
SubjectConfirmationData and similar data also in the
AudienceRestriction? I would expect such data in the AudienceRestriction
only.

Why do you prohibit NotBefore-Attributes?

What the reason for that statement? "If the assertion was issued with
the intention that the client act autonomously on behalf of the subject,
an <AuthnStatement> SHOULD NOT be included." Do you expect the OAuth
authorization server to authenticate the client anyway?

Your I-D states:
"The authorization server MUST ensure that bearer assertions are
       not replayed, by maintaining the set of used ID values for the
       length of time for which the assertion would be considered valid
       based on the NotOnOrAfter attribute in the
<SubjectConfirmationData>."

Why do you want to force a one-time usage for SAML assertions? This is
to restrictive, in my opinion. Any issuing authority could enforce such
a policy by using the "OneTimeUse" element.

2.3.  Error Response: I would suggest to return a 401 status code for
invalid assertions since I see them as invalid credentials.

regards,
Torsten.