Re: [OAUTH-WG] [EXT] Re: DPoP followup III: client auth

Denis <denis.ietf@free.fr> Fri, 04 December 2020 17:38 UTC

To: oauth@ietf.org
From: Denis <denis.ietf@free.fr>
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2020 18:38:28 +0100
Subject: Re: [OAUTH-WG] [EXT] Re: DPoP followup III: client auth

Hi Michael,

> Hi Brian,
>
> I think I lean towards  “Shut up and never speak of this again”, but
> could you clarify some things?
>
> I missed the interim meeting discussion on this slide – it looks like
> DPoP for client authentication would have very similar properties as
> private_key_jwt, but using DPoP instead? i.e. both use a private key
> to sign a JWT that authenticates the client.
>
> Could you expand a bit on the advantage of using DPoP for both client
> authentication and sender-constraining the token vs. using
> private_key_jwt (for client authentication) + DPoP (for
> sender-constraining the token)?
>
> Adding to Filip’s comment, is there just one DPoP proof sent in the
> token request to cover both client authentication and
> sender-constraining the token, meaning the same keypair would be used
> for both DPoP usages?  That would go against DPoP’s key rotation
> guidance, but maybe would be okay if freshness guarantees of the DPoP
> proof get added?

One or more client-AS authentication methods using asymmetric
cryptography might be developed in a separate draft.
However this does not mean that they should be based on the DPoP
protocol. FIDO is one example of such a protocol, but its public key
registration protocol
has a weakness: after registration, the server has no proof that the
client indeed possesses the private key, unless/until an authentication
exchange is performed afterwards.

Different keys should be used for DPoP and client-AS authentication. See
an email related to privacy considerations about which key pairs may be
used for DPoP :
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/oauth/?q=Proposed%20text%20for%20a%20Privacy%20considerations%20section%20in%20draft-ietf-oauth-dpop-02

Denis