Re: [OAUTH-WG] Delegation -- RE: SAML profile comments/questions from the SAML people

Justin Richer <jricher@mitre.org> Wed, 08 September 2010 16:45 UTC

From: Justin Richer <jricher@mitre.org>
To: "Zeltsan, Zachary (Zachary)" <zachary.zeltsan@alcatel-lucent.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2010 12:45:43 -0400
Cc: Thomas Hardjono <hardjono@MIT.EDU>, oauth <oauth@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [OAUTH-WG] Delegation -- RE: SAML profile comments/questions from the SAML people

I've looked over this draft, and I don't think a lot of it is necessary
under OAuth2.0. The protected resource no longer has any kind of
client_id associated with it, so a client can take an access token and
hand it off to any other client to use without any other information
needed. To support this behavior, I can see two main things missing from
the current OAuth2 spec:

1) The ability of the already-authorized client to ask for a new token
for the purposes of handing off to another client, without bugging the
user. This was the impetus for the re-scoping discussion on the list.
Seems like we can use an assertion profile that uses the refresh or
access token on the token

2) A mechanism for handing the token off between clients. At the very
least, this could always happen out-of-band, but for some kinds of
clients (both web servers, for example) we could define a way to request
and hand off the credentials acquired in step 1 to the delegated client.

 -- Justin