Re: [OAUTH-WG] Issue: state in web server flow

Eran Hammer-Lahav <eran@hueniverse.com> Mon, 19 April 2010 05:29 UTC

From: Eran Hammer-Lahav <eran@hueniverse.com>
To: Dick Hardt <dick.hardt@gmail.com>, OAuth WG <oauth@ietf.org>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 22:28:43 -0700
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: Re: [OAUTH-WG] Issue: state in web server flow

I didn't want to both define a state parameter *and* allow for any other client-specific parameters in redirection URIs. Because people made the point that *any* client-specific parameters are required, I proposed to drop the state parameter. After all, servers MUST send back whatever URI they receive regardless of it being encoded into a state parameter.

> Some AS may require the entire redirect URI to be registered, so the state
> parameter allows a client to maintain state across calls.

I agree that this is useful, but it only makes the spec better if we make its use more restrictive. Defining it makes it easier for servers to validate the redirection URI, but only if the client is not allowed using other client-specific query parameters with it.

If people feel strongly about putting it back, I suggest we only allow it with callbacks without any query component as that is the only combination it adds value.

EHL