Re: [OAUTH-WG] Preliminary OAuth Core draft -29

Mike Jones <Michael.Jones@microsoft.com> Mon, 09 July 2012 14:48 UTC

From: Mike Jones <Michael.Jones@microsoft.com>
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2012 14:48:54 +0000
x-originating-ip: [157.54.51.32]
Cc: "oauth@ietf.org" <oauth@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [OAUTH-WG] Preliminary OAuth Core draft -29

HTML5 is not cited because it's a working draft - not an approved standard.  In what way is "the definition of the media type in HTML4 is known to be insufficient"?  People have been successfully implementing form-urlencoding with it for quite some time. :-)  Is there a specific wording change that you'd suggest that we make that doesn't involve citing a working draft, rather than an approved standard?

I'm not sure what aspect of https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/oauth/current/msg09219.html you feel hasn't been addressed.  The restriction prohibiting colon has been removed from the ABNF, like you asked.  Using form-urlencoding when passing parameters through HTTP Basic enables a wider repertoire of characters to be used - again, something you'd asked for.

I used your example from http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc5323.html#rfc.section.5.15.1 when wording the statement that "The ABNF below is defined in terms of Unicode code points".  That covers the topics raised in your message about the ABNF.  So I really don't understand in what way that statement fails to address your concerns.

I've done my best to intuit your intent based on your brief comments and address it, and apparently come up short in some way(s) that I can't identify from your response below.  Again, if you could propose specific wording changes, that would remove the ambiguity from your remarks and we could stop going back and forth on this.

I hope you can be on the call in ~2 hours as well.

				Thank you,
				-- Mike