Re: [ogpx] VWRAP working group charter update

David W Levine <dwl@us.ibm.com> Thu, 24 September 2009 23:37 UTC

To: ogpx <ogpx@ietf.org>, ogpx-bounces@ietf.org
From: David W Levine <dwl@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 19:38:40 -0400
Subject: Re: [ogpx] VWRAP working group charter update

Face to Face working groups at the 3 meetings also serve to socialize the
work
to the rest of the organization.  People casually sit in on the working
group
sessions, and the cross fertilization of ideas is one of the biggest
benefits
of having the huge meetings. OAuth, the websockets community, and the
XMPP community are likely to be of particular interest

Most standards bodies do  a mix of work online,
face to face sessoins at major meetings, and smaller ad-hoc gatherings.
The IETF
explicitly calls for anything discussed outside of the mailing list to be
re-visited
on the mailing list, which certainly makes is easier to follow along.

As yet, none of the virtual meeting spaces or tools fully capture the
simple power of people sharing a whiteboard in a physical room. The
fluidity of interaction (especially in terms of casual diagram scribbling)
is a seriously challenging use case.

I expect that we'll look to eat our own dogfood, and try and do informal
meetings inside a number of the virtual worlds. (Linden,  OSGrid. This
won't replace either the face to face meetings, or the mailing list, but
should provide another way to advance the work.

- David / Zha