[Ohttp] Robert Wilton's Block on charter-ietf-ohttp-00-00: (with BLOCK and COMMENT)

Robert Wilton via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Wed, 16 June 2021 14:58 UTC

From: Robert Wilton via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: ohttp-chairs@ietf.org, ohttp@ietf.org
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2021 07:58:05 -0700
Subject: [Ohttp] Robert Wilton's Block on charter-ietf-ohttp-00-00: (with BLOCK and COMMENT)

Robert Wilton has entered the following ballot position for
charter-ietf-ohttp-00-00: Block

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-ohttp/

BLOCK:

I support Eric's discuss position that it would be helpful to hold a BOF before
chartering the WG to ensure that opinions have been heard and considered from
all areas.

I also find the scope of the charter to be somewhat unclear.  Specifically, it
isn't really clear to me whether the aim of this work is really for a generic
oblivious HTTP mechanism to hide clients from servers, or whether it is really
intended to be a point solution to support oblivious DNS over DoH?

Some other points that a BOF could consider (particularly if this work is
mostly focused on Oblivious DNS over DoH):

- What it the latency performance overhead of introducing the proxies given the
large number of DNS queries and given that they are performance sensitive to
the end user experience?

- Who is creating/managing these proxies and what trust relationship does the
end user have to these proxies?

- Do proxies impact the ability to do "malware detection as a service"?  I.e.,
are there scenarios where the profiling of DNS requests coming from a
particular source address is helpful for clients.

- Is this technology encouraging more centralization of Internet services?

COMMENT:

Should a discovery mechanism be in scope, if not in the initial work for this
working group, as a secondary objective?