draft-ietf-openpgp-mime: normative reference to multiple signature draft

John W Noerenberg II <jwn2@qualcomm.com> Wed, 21 March 2001 07:27 UTC

Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 22:11:06 -0600
To: Thomas Roessler <roessler@does-not-exist.org>
From: John W Noerenberg II <jwn2@qualcomm.com>
Subject: draft-ietf-openpgp-mime: normative reference to multiple signature draft
Cc: ietf-openpgp@imc.org
Sender: owner-ietf-openpgp@mail.imc.org

There's a normative reference in Sec 5 to draft-ietf-multsig-00.txt.
In order to advanced to PROPOSED, we'd either have to be ready to
advance the multsig draft, or eliminate the reference.  What I
propose is that we eliminate the specific reference here, and advance
multiple signatures independently.  This way involves the fewest
dependencies.

Here's the specific text:

To encapsulate multiple signatures with possibly different hash
algorithms, the method specified in [8] should be used.

[8] in the references is "draft-ietf-openpgp-multsig-02.txt".
Probably simplest is to delete the sentence, and reference [8].

The multiple signatures draft looks pretty straight-forward.  Unless
I hear loud objections, I'll ask the IESG if we can modify our
charter to include it in our work items.  There hasn't been much
discussion of this draft for some time.  However, because it's not on
our charter, we have to change the charter before I can submit it for
consideration as PROPOSED, and I do want to allow some time for Last
Call after it's on our charter.

Because pgp/mime will be ready shortly to advance, I'd rather not
have to wait for approval to change our charter before pgp/mime can
advance.  Once we have both multsig and pgp/mime at PROPOSED, if both
are ready to advance to DRAFT, we can restore the reference in
pgp/mime to multsig.

--

john noerenberg
jwn2@qualcomm.com