Re: Policy URL -> Policy URI

Rick van Rein <rick@openfortress.nl> Tue, 08 February 2005 09:41 UTC

Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 10:24:10 +0100
From: Rick van Rein <rick@openfortress.nl>
Subject: Re: Policy URL -> Policy URI
To: Jon Callas <jon@callas.org>
Cc: Rick van Rein <rick@openfortress.nl>, ietf-openpgp@imc.org
Sender: owner-ietf-openpgp@mail.imc.org

Hello Jon, others,

> Okay, I see what you're saying, but is it necessary?

I think it is.

1. I think PGP is providing too little certainty about the meaning of a
   signature with its current four-grade signing setup.  At least, it is
   not suitable for commercial use, which would be great to support.  A
   suitable policy mechanism can help in that case.

2. It is not smart to fall behind on other signing flexibility; PGP already
   lacks the appeal to decision-makers that PKIX and even XML Signing have;
   any URN-based policy initiative could therefore easily forget to
   incorporate PGP and render it useless for that kind of application.

3. There are always work-arounds.  For example, the kind of schemes
   suggested under 2. could declare a website to do the translation from
   URN to URL for the sake of PGP.  Aside from that being awkward, it would
   be a challenge to the longevity of the spec and may for that reason be
   left out.  We don't want that to happen.

> A long time ago, the keyserver URL said URI and we changed it for
> reasons that I can't remember.  I think it's because we didn't think it
> was necessary, that if it happened to be a URI, the worst that could
> happen would be that someone wouldn't understand it, but that's always
> a risk.

Indeed, the *keyserver* should not be referenced by name -- if you cannot
determine the location of a server what is it going to be good for?

For policies, I think we have a whole different matter at hand --
references to books, an ISSN-series of widely acknowledged signing policies
and ASN.1 OIDs are all good ways to point at a policy.  Moreover, they are
supportive of Internet-wide schemes, which is rarely the case if a URL is
used.

Imagine that I would start pushing PGP-signers to follow
	http://openfortress.nl/doc/some-policy.pdf
How would that make you feel?  It would mean some company set it up.  A
company with full control over the URL.  Other companies are going to be
too proud or too smart to use the same signing policy *location*.  Even if
they literally copy the content, the average signature validator would not
notice because the strings differ.  In short, URLs are bad for
interoperable policies.

A URN-scheme on the other hand, can serve quite well for Internet-wide,
non-proprietary published policies.  It can enforce the secure hash of a
document, which can only be weakly suggested in a URL.  That would take
care of the pride issue.  Furthermore, URNs can support rewriting to
equivalent forms, which would be helpful for supportive software to find
more matches than a simple string match can be.

> If you happened to put in the policy URL an ISBN number, wouldn't it be
> obvious what it meant? Wouldn't it work just fine?

There are always work-arounds, but why invite them?  There are no
disadvantages to changing to a Policy URI.

> I don't mind changing it, but is this just a difference without
> distinction?

The change is vital in my opinion.

Thanks,
 -Rick