Re: V5 key packet format requirements

nagydani@epointsystem.org (Daniel A. Nagy) Fri, 03 February 2006 19:07 UTC

Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2006 19:51:19 +0100
To: Konrad Rosenbaum <konrad@silmor.de>
Cc: OpenPGP <ietf-openpgp@imc.org>
Subject: Re: V5 key packet format requirements
From: nagydani@epointsystem.org
Sender: owner-ietf-openpgp@mail.imc.org

On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 07:09:06PM +0100, Konrad Rosenbaum wrote:

> Consequently one would also need to scrap the logic that a signature is
> invalid if it predates the key (that's somewhere in RFC2440).

I disagree. I'm merely advocating moving the key creation time into the self
signature, which is the only obstacle to forgery anyway:

If you give me a signed document that predates the key along with that key,
I can change the date in the key, re-calculate the hash, change the
reference to the key in the signature and voila, I have a valid signature,
without access to any private info. The only thing stopping me is the
self-signature on the key, which also hashes the key creation date. So, that
self-signature is the real cryptographic protection, not the reference in the
document signature. Thus, one does not reduce security a bit by moving the key
creation date into the self-signature. That is where it belongs.

> Why not: hash the _complete_ public key packet _as_is_ without any
> modifications?
>
> The computational load of hashing a few bytes more and of slicing them first
> should be about identical.
>
> It is very easy to implement (read as: less potential security holes through
> programming mistakes and higher interoperability).
>
> It is much more resistant against upcoming attacks than a selective model.

I agree. This is why I am calling for throwing the key creation date out
of the key packet. The key packet should only contain an algorithm identifier,
the key material and possibly deterministic functions thereof.

--
Daniel