Re: [openpgp] ways forward wrt IETF wg - please try answer by Apr 8th

Derek Atkins <derek@ihtfp.com> Fri, 10 April 2015 14:40 UTC

From: Derek Atkins <derek@ihtfp.com>
To: Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2015 10:40:41 -0400
Cc: "openpgp@ietf.org" <openpgp@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [openpgp] ways forward wrt IETF wg - please try answer by Apr 8th

Hi,

I realize you've already summed up your responses, but I want to respond
for the record too.  (Yes, I realize it's been 9 days since you sent
this, so I missed your "please try to answer by the 8th" request).

In terms of the options, I think option 2 is best and closest matches
what can realistically be done.  Some others might want 3 or 4.  I doubt
anyone wants 1.

I think we should not do any of the 't' options -- I think 2440 and 4880
got it right by only specifying how to make signatures but not what they
mean.  I.e., it doesn't even define the 'web of trust'.  Now, I do think
it would be reasonable to have *separate* documents that explain, e.g.,
how to do web-of-trust in OpenPGP, how to do CA assertions in OpenPGP,
etc.  Indeed, I'd probably even be willing to author a draft on how to
specify and implement "name constraints" in OpenPGP using assertion
signature notifications.

-derek