Re: [OPS-AREA] [MIB-DOCTORS] FW: IESG Statement on Copyright

"C. M. Heard" <heard@pobox.com> Tue, 22 September 2009 21:29 UTC

Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 14:30:46 -0700
From: "C. M. Heard" <heard@pobox.com>
To: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <dromasca@avaya.com>
Cc: "MIB Doctors (E-mail)" <mib-doctors@ietf.org>, "OPS Area (E-mail)" <ops-area@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [OPS-AREA] [MIB-DOCTORS] FW: IESG Statement on Copyright

Other than the copyright text that goes in MIB modules, the only
issues that I know of that we all agreed were actually issues are
the errata now on the RFC Editor site.  Attached is an e-mail
message on this subject sent to David Harrington and Bert Wijnen
earlier this year.

In my archives I found a discussion that tooks place between 16 Oct
2005 and 4 Jan 2006 as to whether RFC 4181 should be listed as
updating STD 58 (RFCs 2578, 2579, and 2580), as suggested by Alfred
Hoenes.  We decided that the answer was NO, but in the process there
was an inconclusive discussion as to whether the MUSTs in 4181 that
go beyond the requirements of STD 58 (there are some in sec. 4.6.4)
ought to be SHOULDs instead.  The subject lines in the relevant
threads are "RFC 4181 indeed updates RFC 2578..2580" and "Erratum
for RFC 4181".  If it's too much of a pain to search the mib-doctors
archive, I can make the 28 messages that I saved from those threads
available as a Unix mbox file.

Mike Heard

On Tue, 22 Sep 2009, Romascanu, Dan (Dan) wrote:
> Nothing as ordered as we would it to be. I remember discussions having
> started a few times but we need to go back into the MIB Doctors
> archives. There are also three verified errata (editorial stuff).
>
> Dan

--- Begin Message ---
Hello David,

I looked in my mail archive and the only RFC 4181 errata that I
found were in the attached message from 1 Nov 2005.  These, as it
happens, have been posted by the RFC Editor, contrary to what I said
below.  After so long away from the subject my memory of it is
failing :-(

I do have some vague recollections of some other stuff that came up
when we discussed the RFC 4181 update to recognize the IETF Trust
(which became RFC 4841), but I can't find anything in my records.
Bert once volunteered to convert the doucment in to xml2rfc format,
and I sent him some errata that **may** have contained more than
those in the attached message -- but I'm not sure.

Bert, if you have anything lying around that might help please
forward it to David.

Thanks,

Mike

On Tue, 3 Mar 2009, David Harrington wrote:
> OK. If you send me the errata list, I will try to update the document
> (and convert source to xml2rfc format in the process).
>
> Thanks,
> dbh

--- Begin Message ---
On Sun, 23 Oct 2005, C. M. Heard wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Oct 2005, Alfred HÎnes wrote:
> > I've [...] observed two minor typos in the text of RFC 4181
> > that migth be worth noting for consideration in the case of
> > any future update to this RFC:
> >
> > *  The bottom text line of page 29 says:
> >
> >       " ... .  Two point are worth reiterating:"
> >                        ^^
> >    It should say:
> >
> >       " ... .  Two points are worth reiterating:"
> >
> > *  The first line of item 8 in Appendix A, on page 34, says:
> >
> >       "... -- if the draft does not contains a verbatim copy ..."
> >                                            ^
> >    It should say:
> >
> >       "... -- if the draft does not contain a verbatim copy ..."
>
> RFC Editor:
>
> As document editor, I would like to request than an RFC Erratum be
> created for RFC 4181 listing these errors.  Thanks to Alfred HÎnes
> for pointing them out.

In addition to the above, I have noticed the following formatting
error in the first bullet in Section 4.6.1.1 on p. 14.  The text
in the RFC looks like this:

   - For integer-valued enumerations:

     - INTEGER is REQUIRED; - Integer32, Unsigned32, and Gauge32 MUST
     NOT be used.

and it should look like this:

   - For integer-valued enumerations:

     - INTEGER is REQUIRED;
     - Integer32, Unsigned32, and Gauge32 MUST NOT be used.

I would appreciate it if you would include this item when you create
the erratum for RFC 4181.

Regards,

Mike Heard
--- End Message ---