[OPS-AREA] OPSAREA strategy [was: Re: OPSAREA - preliminary minutes of the Hiroshima sessionuploaded]

Balazs Lengyel <balazs.lengyel@ericsson.com> Thu, 03 December 2009 09:48 UTC

Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 10:44:25 +0100
From: Balazs Lengyel <balazs.lengyel@ericsson.com>
To: Andy Bierman <ietf@andybierman.com>
Cc: "'OPS Area (E-mail)'" <ops-area@ietf.org>
Subject: [OPS-AREA] OPSAREA strategy [was: Re: OPSAREA - preliminary minutes of the Hiroshima sessionuploaded]

Hello,
I agree that we need this debate. actually we have had a very similar
debate internally within my company.

As I see it we are already live in a multi-protocol OAM world, that has
been decided by the market.
IMHO there should be a set of recommended protocols that any WG/protocol
developer in IETF should use for configuration/logging/performance
management/ fault management.
All draft authors should have a good reason if they want to use
something else.
An interesting point would be addressing/naming. As I see it
configuration is heading for Netconf while fault management is using
SNMP. These have very different naming systems.
I have the basic use case:  I get an alarm/trap about some resource in
my node. I want to check the configuration/status of the resource,
however I can't just copy the SNMP OID into a get/subtree-filter of a
Netconf message. So what is the recommended way?

I fully agree with Andy, that to make YANG/NETCONF work we will need
some basic stuff, like MIB2 system branch, interface tables, else? This
would be work for the OPS area.

Balazs